bolt action pistol setup?

Discussion in 'Specialty Handgun Hunting' started by loaders_loft, Jul 8, 2009.

1. loaders_loft

loaders_loft Well-Known Member

For those of you shooting a bolt action pistol, what would be the best setup for a right handed shooter?

Left port, left bolt

Dual Port, left bolt

dual port, right bolt

etc...

Seems like a left port, left bolt or dual port left bolt would be easiest...??

Is the savage undesignated PTA available in these configurations??

2. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

Left left would seem the best. I heard rumors of this happening with the target action, but am anaware if it has happened yet.

3. zuba

zuba Well-Known Member

I have a pistol that coyboy put together on a right bolt/left port, I went with the right bolt so I never have to worry about introducing the bolthead to my face... I really like that configuration for prone shooting, I can operate the bolt with one hand and grab the spent brass with the other...

4. hammertyme

hammertyme Well-Known Member

Savage has both available. Left or right bolt. Left or right port or dual port.

Fred at Savage Shooters will also, along with Scott Null Savage Gunsmithing , rework your action for a left bolt. You can also swap bolt heads to make most any action eject right or left.

Personally the left bolt Target action is not worth an extra $300. so I watch gun broker for Savage Strikers.

I am a hunter and like having my hand on the grip at all times. Left bolt/left port means I can extract spent cases and feed a live round with my left hand all the while my right hand is used for lining up for another shot.

Neal