blue printing question

harleybug

I'm starting my first long range rifle build and I'm trying to get all my tools together that I need to blueprint my rifle. I'm trying to find the receiver accurizing kit but brownells is out of stock and I'm hoping someone can point me in another direction. Any advice on my build and were to get my tools would be appreciated. My rifle is a Remington 700 7mm mag and I'm trying to build it the right way. It is my first build so I'm not one sided on anything so I'll take any advice.

I'm starting my first long range rifle build and I'm trying to get all my tools together that I need to blueprint my rifle. I'm trying to find the receiver accurizing kit but brownells is out of stock and I'm hoping someone can point me in another direction. Any advice on my build and were to get my tools would be appreciated. My rifle is a Remington 700 7mm mag and I'm trying to build it the right way. It is my first build so I'm not one sided on anything so I'll take any advice.

Check out http://www.mansonreamers.com/Current catalog/May 2013 Catalog.pdf , page 14-15.

harleybug,

There are supporters for both sides of the decision regarding standard size and oversize taps for re-cutting threads in some actions. Suffice it to say that most folks don't think that Remington threads are straight so they opt to re-cut them completely.

In general though, the process should start with the bolt raceway, making sure that it is true and straight before proceeding with the reamer and tap mandrel. In essence you are trying to get all of the important surfaces either parallel and or perpendicular. I'm leaving out all the specifics since it would entail a lengthy dissertation which you should have already read and understood.

Some of us use indicators to get the action aligned in a lathe in order to cut all the surfaces. We single point the threads instead of using a tap.

Now, you might consider this. By the time you buy all the tools and paraphernalia needed to perform the blueprinting, you could actually afford the very best action which will not require any work at all except for maybe a quick lap of the lugs. This might be a good idea from the standpoint that you will already have a better receiver to work with than a blueprinted Remington and you will have saved yourself the necessity of buying more Remingtons in the future in order to justify purchasing the tooling in the first place.

Just something to consider.

Regards.

I agree that by the time you buy the tooling you could have bought the very best custom action money can buy and have a way nicer rifle.

A trued action is a very small part of the accuracy equation. So little if I was you I wouldn't even think of doing it. A tap will not true up anything even with the guide. It will just chase the existing threads. To do it right requires a lathe to single point the surfaces. Many inexperienced guys end up cutting too much and end up throwing the bolt timing off so far the bolt may need the handle repositioned.

Your accuracy comes from crown, barrel, bedding and optics. This is where the money and time needs to be spent.

To Me, Blue printing/accurizing is just one part of building a accurate rifle. (There are many
things that have to be done to produce an accurate rifle).

If you are just going to build one rifle, I'm not sure the cost of the tools is worth it. But if you want to build more than one it will be money well spent.

A Big plus to doing it your self will be the knowledge and understanding you will gain. Truing any action has its benefits because even though the action may be very good, if it is made as near perfect as possible, It will normally be much less sensitive to different loads and generally shoot everything well.

As mentioned, custom actions are an other option but they will not increase your knowledge and
understanding of what it takes to build an accurate rifle every time. They are normally more accurate than most factory actions come but are rarely perfect and often need some tweaking themselves.

Dave Manson Makes some of the best tooling for Smithing available that you can check out.

Mansonreamers

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

I'm ordering the tooling so I can do many rifles. I would rather get the experience and knowledge of building my own rifle. Anyone can order a custom action not to say it's bad but I would rather build a few of my own and have the satisfaction of pulling the trigger on my own precision rifle. Maybe in the future I'll order a custom but I really want to learn and become a proficient rifle builder.

harleybug,

Seemingly you have resolved the question about blueprinting. Now how about what you want to do about threading and chambering the barrel then finalizing the inletting on the stock? Lathes and mills can run up the cost of tooling substantially.

Regards.

I have access to just about any machinery I'll need. I mainly planned on doing the blue printing,pillars, and bedding of the rifle the barrel I'll order threaded and short chambered than finish ream it myself. I'm not sure witch barrel manufacturer I'm going to use but I'm leaning towards er Shaw or krieger.

I can't imagine putting a prethreaded / chambered barrel on a trued action. A precision fitted premium barrel is the heart of an accurate rifle.

Far more important than a trued action is getting the barrel threads aligned to the bore and custom fitted to the action for the tightest fit you can to help the action and barrel become one. Then the chamber needs cut so that the throat and chamber are in line with the actual curve in the bore rather than just launching bullets into the side of the bore.

When a barrel maker premachines a barrel they just jam it in a collet and hit the button. Nothing custom fit precise about it. After blueprinting an action the threads are going to be even looser. This will be much more of a production rifle loosened up and assembled at home.

I've shot many rifles built like this and they shoot great. .75 moa or better. Most of the guns I've seen except for a few are not having the barrels precision machined to there threads and blue printing the threads with a standard tap doesn't change the threads a hole lot unless u go +.010 but I'm not doing that I'm simply cleaning them up.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.