BLR Rebarrel..ejection port dimensions

Freebore

I have one of the early steel reciever straight grip BLR's that is chambered in 7mm-08. The barrel is shot out. I have a 'smith to rebarrel it.
My question is would the this model be able to be chambered in the 6.5x284? We only have .014 on either side of the case for clearance thru the ejection port. This model was chambered in the .284 from factory but I'm not sure of the ejection port dimensions. Would anyone have that info as to any ejection or feeding problems?
Or should I stick with the 7mm-08. Just thinking outside the box on the possibility of a 'longer range lever'. I usually only hunt deep in the woods w/this rifle but have had a fair amount of field shots hunting the edges.
Thanks for your thoughts/comments in advance.

Kevin,
It's funny you mention this. I just talked to some gents on "Predator Masters" about the BLR a couple of days ago. They were talking/complaining about the newer models with plastic gears and bushings.
I also have one of the older models. Steel receiver and clip and straight grip. I inherited it from my dad, so it has a lot of sentimental value and see's little use.
In my dad's quest to get the most from his .243 lever gun, economically and ballistically, he contacted a few companies trying to get it re-barreled. The only company that would entertain the idea was McGowan Precision Barrels (McGowen Precision Barrels, LLC Home) and they did an absolutely fantastic job of it.
My dad had a CM, 26", slim Varmint profile barrel installed. I think it's a Douglas barrel. I haven't shot it very much at all, but it shot with bolt action rifle precision when he first got it.
Who, smith wise, have you found to rebarrel yours? I don't see why this action wouldn't handle the 6.5x284. JohnnyK.

Johnnyk,
I have a 'smith in Stoverstown, Pa a guy by the name of Sid Goodling. He has never done one before but is willing to take the job on as he is always in a learning mode.

I'm sure I'll stick with the 7mm-08 as this is my deep woods rifle but I have had instances where I wished I had my .243 or .257 Wthrby in my hands.
I'm sure this new barrel (Krieger) will make a huge difference in accuracy. 100 yrds was fine but opened up at 200 w/factory barrel. (glad its shot out, killed 67 whitetails with it). Won't have back until at least June.

Just thought it would be pretty impressive and I'd have the only 6.5x284 lever in the woods. Got time to make up mind but Sid said if I go 6.5 all bets off for feeding/ejection issues, then its stickly $$ per hour to correct if any arise. That's why the original post He a great 'smith and has alot of match wins with his rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.