Ejection problem

roadhunter

I recently had a Long action Rem 700 30-06 rebarrelled to 6.5-284. I'm having trouble with spent brass ejecting. I shot a short video with my budies phone. It extracts fine but doesn't seem to kick them out. If I work the bolt fast the brass just falls into the mag well. Any suggestions or is this expected with this case in a long action?

IMG_1647.mp4 video by roadhunter_bucket - Photobucket

Thanks,

Doug

Thanks guys. I will check with the guy that rebarrelled it, because I know he took the bolt apart when he had the cerekote done.

Thanks,

Doug

Doug, I know exactly what the problem is, your spring if fine, as it looks in the video there is plenty of push to the port.

The rebated rim on the 284 case due to the fatter body in front of the rim is what makes it stick.

As the case angles out of the port, the fatter area in front of the rim binds the case from the contact of this area with the bolt nose. To correct it the bolt needs to be put in the lathe, and a few thousandths needs to be cut off the bolt nose, as well as a new chamfer leading into the bolt nose recess.

This needs to be done with care as what you are removing is the part of the bolt that holds in the remmy extractor. The last one I removed about .005"

It is worse with norma brass than it is with lapua brass. but both will do it.

Last edited:
Hey Jim,

Thanks for the help! I will foreward this to the guy that did the barrel work. By the way, the edge is still shootin great!

later,

Doug

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.