Blown primer in .243 Ackley

I inputted everything you did except the shot start pressure which I dont understand why you changed, maybe you can expalin why
I used the 46 grains you shot with your blown primer and
The program says its over pressure do not useView attachment 116886

Changing the start pressure is used to simulate a bullet jammed or a mono bullet. The best way is to just fire your given load over a chronograph to get actual velocity and then change the Ba to match the velocity and then work up load from there. One thing to remember here is that the TSX is not the LRX and they should not be thought of as a substitution.

I would go with Quickload numbers over some opinion. They are actual ballisticians.

Thats fine. But you are telling him to run hotter then the standard rating for the parent cartridge. My "opinion" is based off of the facts of the parent cartridge.

On second thought. Adam sorry for mucking up your thread. I feel you have a handle on the problem. And its not to much powder.

I inputted everything you did except the shot start pressure which I dont understand why you changed, maybe you can expalin why
I used the 46 grains you shot with your blown primer and
The program says its over pressure do not useView attachment 116886

Over pressure by 407CUP by QL standards.... Its also 3607CUP over for the Parent case. But That would not blow a primer unless the brass was shot and it was ready to fall out.

Try the same configuration with RL26 and see what happens.

First, I would make sure your chamber isn't all coated in oil/residue from your cleaning procedure which can dramatically increase chamber pressure. Next, I would measure everything exactly and keep records so you actually know what you have. In addition, if you aren't doing so, I would use a chronograph to obtain muzzle velocity so you can compare your results to what is expected. If you don't do these basic things, you are going to hurt yourself and/or your rifle.

Thats fine. But you are telling him to run hotter then the standard rating for the parent cartridge. My "opinion" is based off of the facts of the parent cartridge.

On second thought. Adam sorry for mucking up your thread. I feel you have a handle on the problem. And its not to much powder.

I'm not criticizing you, at all so don't go there. I'm simply stating that QL engineers know more about this than we do and they would not list something that was unsafe. And as far as your numbers given above you are showing MAP and not MPSM which is 553 /55300 which is right in line with QL's PMAX of 55200. Not a big deal but worth noting. These are all CUP measurements and need to be converted to PSI if that is easier to work with.

I'm not criticizing you, at all so don't go there. I'm simply stating that QL engineers know more about this than we do and they would not list something that was unsafe. And as far as your numbers given above you are showing MAP and not MPSM which is 553 /55300 which is right in line with QL's PMAX of 55200. Not a big deal but worth noting. These are all CUP measurements and need to be converted to PSI if that is easier to work with.
QL shows the PSI in the lower right corner

OK. Thanks. I did not feel like you were criticizing. Just not seeing where I was coming from. :)

As for 55200 on QL Glad you brought it up/. I was under the impression that was there MAP for the cartridge. Atleast from what they have shown in there by calling it MAP pressure. And as you just showed that makes the MPSM higher yet. And the MPLM for that matter. Maybe I am missing something??

To send a scope to us, all you need to do is click lifetime warranty on our website and fill out the product service request form. Place a completed copy in with the scope and mail it to us. Typically, after we receive your scope, we will have it 3-5 business days before mailing it back to you.

Annnnd I failed to realize this thread had 12 pages... I'm sure someone has already mentioned this so, please just ignore this as I can't seem to figure out how to delete it.

How Fast did it go? Serious question here. If it's a tight bore the copper solids build pressure really fast. Edit. I've got a load development video out on youtube it's free.

When I'm looking at something new I always strap the chrono on to see where I'm at as far as VE goes. Pressure makes velocity. Most of us don't have the means to measure pressure so VE is the best we can do. Solid bullets and lead copper bullets typically don't use the same loads. See how fast its going and back it down to where it's safe. I hope this helps

Last edited:
When you force the solid copper bullet in your damaging the shoulder at the bottom off the neck and causing a ring to form in the neck. Look real close to shoulder and neck at the the base of the neck. The Berger has a much longer tapered base and goes into the brass much easier. You say everything work with all other bullets but this one it's the new bullet that's the problem. I shoot a lot of Ackley rounds and the bullet must go into to brass very easily.

I had same problem with new 75 grain A-Max 22 cal bullets in my 22-243 AI once. When the new bullets got longer due to less lead in them I started popping out primers. I had to reduce load by 4 grains of powder and start all over on load development. Lost some velocity also in the process. When I found some of the older 75 gr. A-Max bullets I could go back to my old loads. Old load 46.5 grs. 4831 SC, Now 43.5 grs to 44.0 max. Over the years I have shot thousands of 75 grain A-Max 22 cal bullets. First boxes say 1-10 twist or faster, next generation says 1-9 twist or faster, now they say 1-8 twist or faster. Bullet length has grown over the years................Good Luck!

So to obey our new lead free law I'm starting to load up ammo for my hunting rifles.

First up is my .243 Ack, my go to rifle that has always shot 105gr Berger's

I cleaned it real good with Shooters Choice like I always do. It's a Broughton 5c so it cleans up extremely easy.

I loaded 5 of the 95gr Barnes LRX with H4831SC.

I started at 46 then 47, 48, 49, 50 based on loads I found online and QL calcs.

First shot at 46gr the bolt barely opened and the primer was in the mag box!!!! Plugging the 46gr load into QL comes up with 45,248 psi...I know there's lots of variables with QL and I accounted for the ones I know. Even still, this load is low compared to everything I've found.

I went back and pulled the remaining bullets and weighed the powder charge, all were correct. It was also a new unopened jug of powder.

Any ideas????
The non lead bullets build a lot more pressure than conventional bullets such as the Bergers

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.