blown primers

roaddog1m

So yesterday, I decided to go out and re-zero the scope I had borrowed off my 6mm-06AI and put on another rifle to shoot a match. I went out to the range where there had been several shooters (including myself) blasting away with tactical rifles at some steel gongs made from AR-500 steel. I drove out to the 600yd gong and stepped off 100yds. After firing a few rounds from my 6mm-06AI, I walked up and looked at the plate. I was shooting completely through the plate! crap!

Other than that, I noticed something else. My brass was hard as hell to extract. I had primer flow back and serious primer flattening. (didn't have my crono with my) I went home and measured the powder in the rounds thinking I had made a mistake loading. Nope! Next I measured the web of the fired brass. It was fine also. The brass its self showed no sign of pressure. Finally, I looked in my garbage box and I found the empty primer box I'd used when loading. Yep, you guessed it, LARGE PISTOL PRIMERS! Double crap!

So anyway, there I go again.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts