Blackpowder hunting

KDF22

744D2919-114A-41CA-A38D-477091886EB7.jpeg
This was from spring with my .32 caliber squirrel rifle, just seeing how many folks use blackpowder

Beautiful rifle. Don't shoot much other than smokeless powder in my muzzleloaders these days but you never know what the future holds. Thanks for sharing....

Beautiful rifle! I hunt in Western Pennsylvania where their muzzloader season is traditional flintlock only. I have a Lyman Great Plains .54cal flintlock I hunt with and shoot in 3D matches for fun. I also shoot civil war black powder muskets and carbines in competition. Black powder is one of my favorites!

Thanks just curious if there was other smokepole shooters. I love real blackpowder and the way it fills the air with smoke. Never too late to try it with so many custom rifle makers

I hunt both deer (.50 & .54) and squirrels (.36) with flintlocks. I've had a love affair with traditional black powder rifles since 1968. While I also shoot/reload for a variety of cartridges and enjoy developing MOA hunting loads, I split my deer hunting between both. I'm working on finalizing a 500 yd 6.5 PRC deer load, I also finished tuning my .36 flinter the other day. IMO, if you can hunt and kill squirrels with a black powder rifle, then killing whitetails with a centerfire is a chip shot. I started with percussion rifles, but now mostly hunt with my flinters.

First time posting photo, no idea what I'm doing. Anyway, rifle far left is a .50 from Track of the Wolf kit (simple build). Middle (.36) and right (.54) started from 8/4" hard maple board (just cut away anything that doesn't look like a stock).

Nice! Been BP hunting since the 70's, and I have owned up to 6 BP arms at one time. Today, I own 5: a 54, 2-50's, 45, and 36 cals, with one of those 50's a modern inline, but the rest are the classic hammer models. Your pic of those squirrels taken with BP brings back a lot of young memories. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.