Blackhorn 209 new black powder

Update: a better search using "Black Mag Powder" turned up some good articles including one by Randy Wakeman at chuckhawks.com/black-mag3.htm …………….and a website emainehosting.com where I can buy BM online. At that site they say that all of their testing has been done in a Knight rifle with Power Belts. Best accuracy, they say, which really conflicts with some "bad mouth" I've read about Power Belt accuracy (see article at chuckhawks on PB's)

Funny, I ready that article last night and was going to post the link today. You beat me to it:). I used the blackmag yesterday, weighing all loads & shot 3 shot groups. I measured ten 90 grain loads and weighed each. By weight they ranged from 93.3 gr to 97 gr, quite a large difference IMHO. I took the average at 95 gr weight and bumped it 5 gr by weight (not exactly the right amount but close enough for starters) up to 110 gr. The 95 and 100 weighed charges were the most accurate, about a 1 1/2 inch group at 100 yds. Heavier loads shot around 2 to 2 1/2 inch groups. I am using the Leupold 3X9 grandslam scope on my Knight LRH & Barnes 285 hollow points. I got similar groups with 89 gr weighed charge of Blackhorn and same bullets. The Blackmag powder was very clean, almost like smokeless with very little residue. I am sold on weighing the charges, Blackhorn or BlackMag for the best accuracy. As for the Power Belts, who knows? I haven't tried them due to what I've read about them on the web by many users. I may have to give them a try. The Barnes bullets are bears to get down the Omega AND the Knight but have always given me the best accuracy. My next try will be the PBs with the same loads. Will report the results.

Thanks, Smokepoler. I had faith that you would have good results with the Black Mag and ordered some yesterday. The Barnes 285 gr. Spitfire is my bullet. My only interest in PB's is to get "Colorado ready". I have 3 elk points and expect to be able to draw a ML tag for 2010. Interesting that despite the bad press on PB's that the Black Mag people show on their website that all of their ballistics testing and accuracy reporting was done using a Knight and PB's.
On weighing: Is the BM that variable in its bulk density that volumetric measurement isn't consistent?

Don't forget the Harvester yellow sabots for easier loading of Barnes.

I am able to fire the BH 209 in my encore with all primers including ML ones.
The breech plug exit hole has been enlarged and primer pocket deepened to allow a 1/4" o-ring under the primer that seals out the blowby. I get very fast ignition and 50+ shots per o-ring at $.99 for 10 at Lowes. O-ring does not fall out.
Got the idea from the H&R ML forum at Greybeards.

Tom, the variation on the weighed charges of BlackMag was surprising. For best accuracy, I will still weigh the charges. The Blackhorn was always within a couple tenths of a grain when volume measured then weighed, so more consistent charges. 89 grains equivalent BlackHorn was my best load with the 285s in the knight. IIRC, the Blackhorn 100 grain volume measured load weighed 65.5 grains. The Blackmag ignites easily with standard T7 ML primers in the Knight. Must use Federal 209s to get the fire going in the Knight with Black Horn. My Omega takes any combo of powder/primers. In line with another poster, the T/C guns don't seem to have the problem with BlackHorn as the Knights do. Seems everyone has some type of modification to the breech plug to get these other black powder substitutes to work. I tried the "O" ring trick in the Knight & it didn't work. Melted the ring and drove the rubber in to the flash hole with subsequent non existent ignition. Still need to do more testing after deer season ends in January. Good Luck with the Colorado gig.

I haven't had any issues with o-ring. When I change them at 50 they look like they will go another 100. Some of the H&R guys have tested to 200. You must have had a very soft o-ring. The o-ring was to eliminate the blowby from the 209 that messes up the action and clogs firing pins when using blackhorn or 777 or pyrodex.

jjvw, good point on the O ring. I was using the aviation certified type & it may be softer. I'll try the Lowe's version & see if it makes any difference. Thanks.

1/4 od x 1/8 id x 1/16 thick. Lowes #60 in plumbing. It's for faucets so I assume it will stand up to higher temps. I just asked the H&R guys if they came up with anything better. I will let you know.
All guns have different head space and all brands of primers are different heights. You want a 20% compression fit. Take your plug with your primer of choice (recommend cci 209M) and use a caliper to measure the total stack. Deepen it by 1/32(half o-ring), remeasure stack often and try it. Go slooow!! Your guns headspace may be larger and if you go to far it won't fire. I used a finger drill with a new 15/64 bit. Lowes has several brands, I choose one with flattest point. I would start with an old plug with a clean exit hole. Exit hole can be up to .004.

I'm sure Home Depot or your local hardware has them too. Lowes is just closer for me.

Hey guys I am just geting into muzzleloading and I noticed your differences in charges weighed vs measured. I am starting with BH 209, so shoould I weigh my charges or measure by volume. I reload all my centerfire stuff so I have a good powder scale.

jjvw, the o-ring was an idea I had and passed it along to Busta. Busta took it and ran with it. I never did. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.