Blackening salts? Brownells out

The big question is "will the new salts be compatible with what you already have mixed, or will you need to start from scratch?" Du-Lite may be more expensive, dollar wise, but it may take less, weight wise, to make the desired results.

Last edited:
Well then, if I were to set-up my hot tanks again, I'd use Du-Lite. Uses less chemical, weight wise, than the others for the desired results (if I remember correctly, 7#/gal. verses 10#/gal.). Shipping & hazmat charges are just part of the "cost of doing business". Also, in some parts of the country, disposal of the inevitable 'waste' can be a problem. I have previous experience with both chemicals you mentioned and prefer Du-Lite over any other. Comes much closer to giving the 'old fashioned blue' many prefer verses more of a 'black' . Buying large quantities helps defer some of the costs.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.