Brownells

olsingleshot

Recently I ordered three action screws for a Winchester 70. They cost$6.99 and Brownells economy shipping was $7.95. These three screws arrived in a 6"x 6"x 9" box with packing. They could have been sent the screws in a padded envelope for $1.50. Unfortunately this is a common practice to over charge for shipping. This is not "Economy". I like Brownells but I will keep their shipping rates in mind for future purchases.

Flat Rate shipping charges are there to entice the customer to spend more. That's one school of thought. The automated systems the some companies use will not support the multitudes of packaging/shipping options that are available. Ever order from Amazon? If you're not a "Prime" member, do you order one low priced item or "fill the box" and save on shipping charges by doing so? Probably a combination of the two, buy more, standardise shipping materials & costs.

Don't feel bad, the last few times I have ordered Jewell triggers from them they sent them in a bubble pack envelope and the safety was bent and sticking out of the envelope. I called them and told them they needed to place triggers in a crush resistant box and it fell on deaf ears because the next one was shipped the same way and the safety was sticking out of the envelope just not bent.

So I called them again and informed them that I would not be ordering any more fragile parts from
them.

Packaging has always been a problem with most mail order houses and I guess its the shipping department personnel (No common sense).

If they went back to free shipping (Like they use to) I can only think they would do a better job
of packaging.

J E CUSTOM

Yes I have ordered from Amazon and usually got free shipping. There are things that need packing and other items that do not need that much protection. I can only assume that the box I received was their smallest currently used. I am well aware that the practice of making money on shipping and trying to get the buyer to purchase more items is a common practice.

I just wanted to make readers aware of these practices. Will I continue to buy from Brownells? Yes

Recently I ordered three action screws for a Winchester 70. They cost$6.99 and Brownells economy shipping was $7.95. These three screws arrived in a 6"x 6"x 9" box with packing. They could have been sent the screws in a padded envelope for $1.50. Unfortunately this is a common practice to over charge for shipping. This is not "Economy". I like Brownells but I will keep their shipping rates in mind for future purchases.

Paying $1.00 more for shipping than the purchase items cost is why I go way out of my way to buy local. Usually the online vendors chum you in with a reduced price then make it up on shipping. Beat Cabelas at their scam, order item to be picked up at the store. You pay no shipping, just local sales tax which is much less than their profit generating shipping charges.

When this happens I just usually figure I would have spent more than $7.95 in gas running around trying to find the correct screws, and live with it. Or, as others mentioned, I order more items which probably makes the vendor happy too.

I just ordered items from 3 vendors this evening so had to pay shipping charges x3. None of them had everything I wanted to order, and the prices varied enough between them that it was worth paying shipping from each due to the difference in prices on the purchased items. Ironically one of the vendors is just over an hour away but they won't let you pick up orders on site, and they charged the most for shipping! But, when they have items the other two don't you do what you have to do.

Midway USA recently advertised that they were decreasing shipping charges, and they really have. In addition the prices on some of their items have gone down. I now find them a lot more competitive than they were even 6 months ago.

Midway USA recently advertised that they were decreasing shipping charges, and they really have. In addition the prices on some of their items have gone down. I now find them a lot more competitive than they were even 6 months ago.

I have noticed Midway's shipping has dropped some. I buy a lot of items there and have seldom been gouged too badly on shipping and nearly always get my items quickly. I recently placed an order with Graf and Sons and their shipping cost was also very reasonable and items arrived very quickly.

One is that Bownells delivers 10x faster then , Took two days from brownells an over two weeks with Midway. Midway has got worse that snail mail.

One is that Bownells delivers 10x faster then , Took two days from brownells an over two weeks with Midway. Midway has got worse that snail mail.

I order from Midway.......well frequently would be an understatement. I almost always put my orders together on Sunday and I invariably get my order by Thursday the same week. Pretty hard to beat considering I live in West Texas, a long way from Columbia MO.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.