Black Sunshine......

Eaglet,

The nickname Black sunshine is from a song from a rock band in which they talk about a 500 hp Mustang(uck!!) that was painted all black and at night when they would put the hammer down, all you would see would be the red tail lights and the flame coming out of the sliced headers just behind the front tires.

Know I am no fan of a mustang, would much have preferred the song to be about a 500 hp Camero SSRS but the nickname stuck with me over the years and I figured some day I wanted to build a rifle that would justify this nick name. I think it works with this rifle!!

I think if we were comparing rifle HP to car HP, Black sunshine would probably be pushing 1000 hp!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Wildcat,

In actual life, the Red is about 10 times more viberant then it appears in these pictures. Just does not give it due justice but you get the idea.

I already know she will be a shooter. Took her out at 1500 yards before I shipped it off to get coated. Put four shots in a 7.5" group so I think it will definately be a shooter. I think 1/2 moa at 2000 yards should not be an issue in good conditions if I am up to the challange.

Kirby Allen(50)

Looks **** nice Kirby, looks like shawn did nice job. I really like the looks of that scope, the reticle is impressive looking in the pic you sent me.

hope the weather lets up and you get on the mend quick so we can see what that thing will do at 2k

you still planning on using the Ivey rings on her???

take it easy
steve

Lerch,

The Ivey rings are 30mm and the IOR is a 35mm so I will not be albe to use them with that scope. Right now I am thinking I will test the Iveys on my 338 Kahn here soon. I have a couple 30mm scopes I may use including the 6-24 Burris Black Diamond.

I had to machine a new bolt for my 338 Kahn. I was sharing the same bolt between my 338 Kahn and 7mm AM and when I sold the 7mm AM, well, it had to have a bolt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

As such I needed to machine the original bolt to work in the Kahn. This morning I was feeling pretty good and at least got most of the bolt head modified to work in the Kahn. Just have to shorten the nose about 10 thou and then mill the bolt for a Sako extractor. Then it will be back in action.

I may also lengthen the throat in my Kahn. I got a new 1-30-00 throating reamer for the 338 cal compared to the 3 degree throat angle on the reamer. Has proven to allow more velocity potential with the modified throat angle.

I think I will also increase its length by about 0.300". This barrel only has about 400 rounds down it and is still in pretty good shape but I have always wanted a longer throat anyway. If I am going to do a little why not everything.

It makes me laugh sometimes to think about having my little and big 338 out at the same time. Calling a 338 that will get you 3150 fps with a 300 gr SMK, a "little" 338 is just not right!!! But comparing it to the 338 AM, its LITTLE!!

Kirby Allen(50)

well get that "dainty 338 kahn" up an running so you can tell all of us how those rings work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess compared to the 338AM a lot of big guns look kinda small /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

take it easy
steve

I can't wait to hear about the IOR scope, it's a consideration when my rifles are done. I was looking at the S&B high power stuff, but the IOR will suffice if your review is what I'm expecting.

Thanks for the info.

Fifty, I've thought about coating my action and barrel on my new 338 "Yogi", however, I have always been told that it's not a good idea to coat the BAT action due to the tightness factor. However, it sounds like your not having too much trouble. My rifle is going to be Green and Black, so I think the Matte Black teflone coating would look awesome. Could you give me some feed back about coating the BAT action.
Once again, Black Sunshine looks awesome, that barrel looks huge. I can't wait to get my big rifle, my barrel is the same size, 1.750 straight tapper. The barrel looks big in the photos, what's it like in person. I have a 1.250 straight tapper on my 223 varmint rig and it's huge. These 1.750 straight tappers must look enormous in person. Good luck with the testing.

Wildcat

You would have to ask Shawn Carlock about the techincal aspects of teflon coating. I do not have alot of demand for it in my area from customers so I am not set up to do this. I have Shawn do all my coating for me that customers want.

As far as the BAT receiver, yes it is tight when its coated, very tight!! But, it does loosen up relatively quickly by working the bolt. The way I see it, this could only really help things. AS long as the bolt functions properly, the tighter the lock up the better on this type of rifle.

Kirby Allen(50)

Coating the really tight actions is not a big deal. There are areas that you don't coat, locking lugs etc. But all external showing surfaces are done. The bolt body to bolt raceway fit will need some movement to fit and on some will wear through the finish in spots, but most of those have always been in areas not visible when the action is locked up. I have come up with a couple tricks during application to make the finish harder and last longer. It is not hard chrome but is a durable finish and a physical barrier against water etc. I like the teflon finishes for most applications. If you have some specific concerns about teflon finishes we should start a thread about them so we don't "jack" the Black Sunshine thread. I will get one going in a couple of days.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.