black hills

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by tommyc279, Dec 18, 2008.

1. tommyc279

tommyc279 Well-Known Member

Due to this web site I broke down and tried black hills, and I should have stuck to my guns. All I hear are good reviews, but I never really knew what fliers were til this week. one moment a good group next moment disappointment. I tried the 68 gr. hp in my .223 which is a great shooter, and 22-250 v max 50 gr. Federal in my opinion is a much more consistant product, please write back and let me know if I am the only one or if there are other shooters not a fan of black-hills. overall groups were 2-3" five shot groups out of usual sub moa guns.

2. loaders_loft

loaders_loft Well-Known Member

what is your rate of twist? If your rifle is a 1:12 twist (most 223 bolt actions with a few notable exceptions) then you should not be shooting bullets over 55 gr. If your gun shoots 50's well but not 68's, that could be the issue.

3. tommyc279

tommyc279 Well-Known Member

its a 1 in 9 twist on my 223 and a 1 and 9 twist on my 22-250. tried some balck hills 52 match hp in my 223 today and had similiar results (poor). I have shot a lot of different ammo thru these guns and blacks hills seems to rate with cheap commerical ammo. on a good note ran some hornady tap through my 223 55gr. and this so far has proved to be these most accurate. The reason I brought this up was all I hear is good and wondering if anyone else is having issues.

4. slymule

slymule Well-Known Member

I haven't shot Black Hills ammo in about 4 years, but back then it was my favorite by far. In all four of my AR-15's, all were Olympic Arms with match barrels, I could put 3-5 shots and cover them with a nickel all day long. I always shot the blue box, the remanufactured stuff.

5. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

I shoot alot of Black Hills ammo frok both a couple 308's and several 223's including one custom Encore barrel and I have never had any troubles with them at all.

The 175gr Black Hills is my al time favorite for a tactial 308