black hills

tommyc279

Due to this web site I broke down and tried black hills, and I should have stuck to my guns. All I hear are good reviews, but I never really knew what fliers were til this week. one moment a good group next moment disappointment. I tried the 68 gr. hp in my .223 which is a great shooter, and 22-250 v max 50 gr. Federal in my opinion is a much more consistant product, please write back and let me know if I am the only one or if there are other shooters not a fan of black-hills. overall groups were 2-3" five shot groups out of usual sub moa guns.

Due to this web site I broke down and tried black hills, and I should have stuck to my guns. All I hear are good reviews, but I never really knew what fliers were til this week. one moment a good group next moment disappointment. I tried the 68 gr. hp in my .223 which is a great shooter, and 22-250 v max 50 gr. Federal in my opinion is a much more consistant product, please write back and let me know if I am the only one or if there are other shooters not a fan of black-hills. overall groups were 2-3" five shot groups out of usual sub moa guns.

what is your rate of twist? If your rifle is a 1:12 twist (most 223 bolt actions with a few notable exceptions) then you should not be shooting bullets over 55 gr. If your gun shoots 50's well but not 68's, that could be the issue.

its a 1 in 9 twist on my 223 and a 1 and 9 twist on my 22-250. tried some balck hills 52 match hp in my 223 today and had similiar results (poor). I have shot a lot of different ammo thru these guns and blacks hills seems to rate with cheap commerical ammo. on a good note ran some hornady tap through my 223 55gr. and this so far has proved to be these most accurate. The reason I brought this up was all I hear is good and wondering if anyone else is having issues.

I haven't shot Black Hills ammo in about 4 years, but back then it was my favorite by far. In all four of my AR-15's, all were Olympic Arms with match barrels, I could put 3-5 shots and cover them with a nickel all day long. I always shot the blue box, the remanufactured stuff.

I shoot alot of Black Hills ammo frok both a couple 308's and several 223's including one custom Encore barrel and I have never had any troubles with them at all.

The 175gr Black Hills is my al time favorite for a tactial 308

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.