Birria recipe, and other Birria dishes

LVJ76

@Koda_ apologies for the delay, life and work gets in the way sometimes.

Here is my recipe, reminder, there a tons of recipes for Birria, so feel free to make changes to your liking. I don't use measurements, but I'll try to get close to them.

On a slow cooker:
7 to 8 dry chili pods seeded. Pasilla and Ancho are best, but red chili pods will also work.
2 to 3 tablespoons of Santa Cruz Chili powder, or whatever brand you have available.
10 whole black peppercorns
2 teaspoons minced garlic
Half onion.
6 bay leaves
1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning.
2 tablespoons powder beef bouillon (I use Knorr brand) you can substitute with chicken bouillon if needed, and the Maggi brand will also work, but it's more salty.
3 lbs of you favorite protein. Any beef or venison roast works. I preffer javelina hams, these I debone, and when I'm using Javelina or any other game meat, I leave all the tendon and silver skin, it's collagen and it will melt overnight on the slow cooker. There will be no chewy meat at all.

I put on high overnight, at least 8 to 9 hours. Once all cooked, remove and shred the meat, and put it on a pot. I'll then remove the peppercorns and bay leaves and throw them away. They'll sour the stock, especially the bay leaves.

Then throw the chili pods, onion and everything in the stock in the blender, blend it very well, and add it to the meat in the pot. Will need to blend the stock in several portions, won't all fit in the blender at once. Also, I'm sure you already know, but just in case, wait till the stock cools a bit, otherwise you'll create a mess with a blender blow up, don't ask me how I know LOL.

Bring to a boil, and the stock should be a bit thick, but not too much. If the stock is too thick, add some beef stock, or water and beef bouillon. Salt to taste.

You can serve as a soup with corn tortillas on the side, or in tacos, also preferably with corn tortillas, Both can be topped with green onion, cilantro, radish, lime juice and you favorite salsa.

Although this is not accustomed in Mexico, but like @FEENIX did, add some Mexican table or sour cream and Queso Fresco, and it takes it to a whole other level. This works great for tacos, tostadas, gorditas, enchiladas, chilaquiles, etc, etc.

Remember, you can adjust the recipe to your liking.

Happy cooking

Luis

Edited the title to add other ways to eat birria.

Quesabirria:
- Flour tortilla
- Preferably queso Chihuahua, if not Oaxaca. You can go with a monterrey jack as well.
- Birria meat
- Warm Birria stock/juice in a cup (optional)

Prep the quesadilla like you normally would, but add some birria meat to it. Then apply some butter or margarine to the outer part of the tortilla before grilling, it will give it a nice golden brown crust. Once the quesadilla is done, cut it up in slices, and dip the slices in the birria juice.

You can also grill them over a fire.

Birria Tostadas:
- Tostadas
- Refried beans, pinto or black
- Birria
- Toppings

For the beans, you can make your own, or used the canned version.
For either one, in a small pot, add a bit of olive oil or butter, heat up and add half a tablespoon of red chili powder (per can of beans). Heat up the chili powder, but be careful not to burn it.

Add the beans, mix well, add some white melting cheese (any of the mentioned in the quesabirria), about 1 to 2 oz depending on you liking. Let it melt and bring beans to a boil.

Grab a tostada, spread the beans on it and top it with some birria meat. Then top it with fresh lettuce, green onions, radish and your favorite salsa. Then add some table cream and queso fresco. I personally avoid the radish, not a fan of it, but some people love it.

Birria Ramen:

Simple recipe, cook the noodles in the birria stock, once done add some lime juice and whatever toppings you want from the ones mentioned above. I do onions and cilantro, and some salsa.

Enjoy!

Luis

@Koda_ apologies for the delay, life and work gets in the way sometimes.
Thank you for this, I had no expectations but you remembered me. Super grateful and it looks easy enough for me to make I look forward to giving this a try.