Big Eye Spotting Scope Brackets

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by JeremyKS, Feb 5, 2011.

1. JeremyKS

JeremyKS Well-Known Member

Im considering buying one of the following, Doctor 30x,40x,25-50x, Kowa Highlanders, or having two spotting scopes mounted side by side. This will be used for long range glassing. I have looked through 40x and 25-50x doctors and like them but they lack the clarity of my Swarovski 20-60x80 spotter has. Im told the Kowa is better in clarity but I don't like the angled eye pieces for long periods of glassing.

Does anybody have a pair of spotting scopes mounted side by side in brackets? I have been told that it is not the way to go as the collimation is easily knocked out of alignment. I would think with a good quality bracket this would not be a problem? I would really like to go the bracket route but they must be able to take some abuse as they will be bouncing around in a pelican case in the back of Polaris ranger quite a bit.

Anybody have some experience with them?

2. JUDD

JUDD Well-Known Member

i HAVE A SET OF tsn822 in a bracket I use...I love them. I carry mine in a hard case all over and have minimal problams withh them coming out..if the do I carry a allen wrench with me and put them right back in..it only takes about two minutes

3. JeremyKS

JeremyKS Well-Known Member

Can you tell me what bracket you have?

4. JUDD

JUDD Well-Known Member

It's custom made...Kevin at montour county rifles makes them

He does brackets for bushnells, kowas, nikons and weavers...also the older celstrons.

5. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

Kevin makes a good bracket, and has made quite a few over the years.

Here's a few pictures of a set of my big eyes with the bracket that I made when I had some extra time on my hands...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

7. Joel Russo

Thanks Gene. I've personally never tried the Rogue River glass, but heard mixed reviews from a few guys that have. I have no need to look any further than my Leica set.. No pun intended..:rolleyes:

8. yobuck

yobuck Well-Known Member

about 15 years ago one of my grandsons dumped a set of spacemasters off the tripod. the quick disconnect hadnt been properly locked in. they bounced about 50' down the hill. when he brought them back to our location i examined them. some dings and scratches but no broken glass. they were way out of allignment however. within a half hour he was back in business glassing. were still using those glasses.
    had that been a set of doctors i would have been in tears and they would have gone back to the factory for expensive repairs.
    nothing beats scopes in a bracket for hunting.

nice setup joel, did you get my email?

9. Joel Russo

It's hard to beat a quality set of glass in a good bracket.

Ernie.. give me a call during the day sometime, we'll catch up on things.. sorry I missed you..

10. Too Tall Rosenwald

Too Tall Rosenwald Well-Known Member

When they are knock out, it's hard on your eyes. Feels like someone has ahold of one of them.