Big custom guns

Joel,

laska........

I am envious. Look forward to what you think of these receivers. I guess I just need to give Jerry a call and get one headed this way!!!

Good luck on your hunt. What critters are you going for?

Kirby,

When you get your hands on one, I'd be curious to see what your thoughts are.

The usual Dall sheep, Moose and Grizzly hunt. Been chasing Grizz up there for the past few years, just can't seen to connect. These are inland Grizz, and there's alot of "air between them". I usually spend a week up high for sheep, then head into bear country. I usually have someone with me that hasn't killed a sheep, so I dedicate most of the hunt to them. I'm trying to complete my slam.... all Dall's..:)

Here is one of mine. I built it as a repeater because I thought I should have at least on in that configuration. My others are single shot.
This is a .338-.408 Improved, built by Baer. Although I built this one on the Lawton 8000 action, I would not recommend it.
33", 10 tw Krieger.
Someday I'll have time to make a stock for it.:)

The repeater will add approximately $500.00 to the total cost.

This is the rifle that shot the 3.806" group at 1,680 yards last year at Thunder Valley Range in Ohio.

IMG_11082.jpg

IMG_11142.jpg

Joel, I saw this post from last year...what an awesome gun!! And your groups are killer....What load were you using for those groups?

Also, As I read Kirbys strings, I understand the 338 and the 375 are twins in the ballistic department. I'm considering a 338, but wonder if the 375 might be a better choice simply because its slower and it might burn thought barrels better. Any thoughts on this.

thanks!!~!

In these chamberings, I don't feel there is any hindrance to a single shot.
1)It doesn't take long (like 1 second) to drop a second round in if you need it in a hunting situation.
2)You don't want to heat up the throat and shorten the barrel life.

Here is a pic of my 338 Allen Mag.

Bat Action
32" Lilja fluted barrel Kirby Allen Muzzle Brake
McMilan A5 with adjustable cheekpiece
Nightforce NXS 3.5x15x50 with NP-R1 reticle
Jewel Trigger

3 Elk shot at, 3 Elk taken

Weighs 18lbs with Bipod attached.

Rightside.jpg

Front.jpg

AJ

AJ, I seen from your post last year, you have taken several elk with you AM. Im considering the 338 vs the 375. What distances did you take your elk and what was the bullet performance. I have taken several elk with my edge at distances from 500 yrds to near 1,000 and love the performance of the 300 smk's. Im hoping the cheytec's will performe as well or better....Also, what loads did you use on your elk...

Thanks in advance!!!!!

BOUNTY HUNTER,
Love to see pictures when you rifle is done been thinking about using bubinga also I have a piece of 8/4 figured I`d like to try.gun)

kellyzier~

I'm running between 132-137 gr of H50 BMG in my .338-.408's with the 300 SMK.
Forget the issue of burning out the barrel on these things and pick the one you want. It will take a good bit of time to run over 1,000 rounds of either the .338 or the .375. The .338 bullets are easier to get and there are more of them available.

ROBSTER~

Bountyhunter's stock is in the "bedding stage", I'll have it finished in a few weeks.

For single shots, my recommended receiver is the BAT model M 1.55"x8.5" with the stainless steel 40 moa rail base which I modify the receiver and rail to accept 4, 10-32 tapered head mounting bolts.

I have to do this with my PK brakes or the rail WILL work loose when shooting. I have also had to use two sets of scope rings, one to control recoil energy, one to control the extreme deceleration caused by the muzzle brake. I am fine dealing with that to have the very low recoil.

Stocks, my preferred stock is the McMillan A-5 if going for a lighter rifle weight, if weight is not a real issue, I really like the new A-5 SuperMag stocks as well. Joel makes a great stock as well if you like a top end laminate stock.

Barrels. I have used alot of Lilja barrels. THey shoot amazingly well. They are pretty tight bored so they will limited velocity slightly but accuracy is great. Kreigers are also performing very well and they stand up to this extreme chambering a bit longer then the softer button pulled barrels.

Muzzle brakes. Simply put, I feel my 5 port PK brake is the best there is but I designed it specifically for this class of chambering. In a 16 lb rifle, recoil is about like a 270 Win in a sporter weight rifle and thats driving a 300 gr SMK to nearly 3400 fps.

If you want a repeater, THe Lawton is a good choice but as mentioned, it is what it is and there will be some issues with it. Mainly cosmetic. It works, it works well. I just sold my personal 375 AM repeater that used the Lawton and Chey Tac DM system. McMillan Super Mag stock and Lilja 33" barrel. She punched a 4.4" ctc group at 1780 yards driving the 350 gr SMK to 3300 fps.

ImportedPhotos00019-1.jpg

The 4.4" group is the top triangle. The bottom hit is from earlier in the day in intense mirage and its the only hit I got on steel until the mirage went away, they it was in trouble.

Weight wise, I like a rifle in the 18-19 lb range for serious long range shooting. That is where my standard Xtreme Heavy Sporters come in at with NF scope and Harris bipod.

I also make a lightweight version of my Xtreme Heavy Sporter that uses conventional stocks, all steel barrels and the BAT single shot that comes in at 16 lbs with scope and bipod. Here is a pic of this rifle. This is a customers rifle, just got a report from him that he was finally able to get out and test it and shot some sub 1" three shot groups at 400 yards. He was really itching to stretch things out.

ImportedPhotos00000-14.jpg

This rifle has the standard A-5 stock but has the adjustable CP. IF you went with a 50mm or smaller objective scope and mounted it as low as possible you could get away without the adj. cp and cut even more weight off the rifle.

Kirby,
In this string here, you said your customer shot sub "1" inch groups at 400 yards with your new 375....Do you have any idea of the loads he used here along with the bullet? Also, was this a 10 twists barrel???

kelly

Kelly,

Most loads that i have found that work well at 400 yards were all 2nd node loads that were well off of max. It seems to me when i get towards the upper MV's they tend to fly better at much longer distances.

Kirby,

If you have looked at our product lately i hope your opinion has changed on our cosmetic look. We have been working very hard to clean up our product, improved the looks and still keep the high quality and at a low price.

Thanks

bobby

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.