Big 338’s

I'm looking hard at the foundation stock that's 4 lbs so i should be around 15.5-16lbs ish. I plan on getting the ti 3 pro brake I hear they work amazing . I have never had a 338. I'm hoping to get around 3000-3050 fps .

Those foundation stocks look nice, it would be a good fit. I ran a Ti 3 pro st on my 30SM they are great brakes. For a 338 terminator I would step up to the Ti pro heavy brake. It's a little bigger and 1.3oz heavier which is well worth the slight weight addition on a 16lb rifle. You will want all the recoil reduction you can get to help spot your shots.

You will find that when moving up to a bigger .338 hunting rifle recoil is slightly increased but the need for tracking is significantly reduced haha.

I had a 20lb 338AM as well and it's a good option for ELR hunting. 1500yards in light winds was a chip shot. Kirby makes a light weight version of the 338AM with a 28" Bbl. But the 338 Terminator is no slouch for ELR hunting either.

Last edited:
Those foundation stocks look nice, it would be a good fit. I ran a Ti 3 pro st on my 30SM they are great brakes. For a 338 terminator I would step up to the Ti pro heavy brake. It's a little bigger and 1.3oz heavier which is well worth the slight weight addition on a 16lb rifle. You will want all the recoil reduction you can get to help spot your shots.

I had a 20lb 338AM as well and it's a good option for ELR hunting. 1500yards in light winds was a chip shot. Kirby makes a light weight version of the 338AM with a 28" Bbl. But the 338 Terminator is no slouch for ELR hunting either.
Yeah I'm pretty set on the 338 T now. The only other I would do it's the 338lapua imp. But I know a few doing thr 338 T and getting 3000 fps with 300 bergers in a 26" barrel. So I'm thinking A 28" will fill all my needs up fine. I will have to look into the ti pro heavy for sure. One of the best things about the foundation stocks are they are only 6-8wk build time

Those LRMK are pretty sweet have you shot any game with it yet?
No not yet. Pretty much strictly bought it for bear hunting in AZ. We had this really big boar two seasons ago that was just out of range for the Edge, and really no way to get closer. Only would see him for about 5 minutes at shooting light and than he would hit the bottom of the canyon. A week later, he bought a Terminator from a guy locally that Shawn had built lol. The first time I shot it, it was 995yds in a pretty wicked wind. At that time he had the 300's going 3125, and I put both shots within 4" of center. The Terminator is wicked.

No not yet. Pretty much strictly bought it for bear hunting in AZ. We had this really big boar two seasons ago that was just out of range for the Edge, and really no way to get closer. Only would see him for about 5 minutes at shooting light and than he would hit the bottom of the canyon. A week later, he bought a Terminator from a guy locally that Shawn had built lol. The first time I shot it, it was 995yds in a pretty wicked wind. At that time he had the 300's going 3125, and I put both shots within 4" of center. The Terminator is wicked.
That's bad ***. I think I'm pretty sold on going with the terminator. And I think 28" is a pretty good all around lenght

338 AM is big but I want to stay with the 338 T or 338 lapua imp and I'm leaning towards the 338 T
My 338 AX is exactly what your looking for. Its a very modern version of the 338 Lapua improved. Designed it back in 2007, released to public in 2008. Hundreds of them out there. When i designed it, Shawn Carlock had his 338 Edge running hard. Great round. That would get you 2800-2850 fps in a 30" barrel.

designed my 338 AX with the same case body taper and shoulder angle as all my other 338 lapua based wildcats. Case body taper is slightly more then a conventional AI case design but this is a requirement to get great extraction performance at top working pressures. Something the standard AI design on the lapua sized cases can have issues with.

as such performance is significantly improved. My case shoulder angle is also slightly less aggressive at 38*. Perfect for controlling case stretching and everything else the shoulder needs to do but feeds noticably better then a full 40* shoulder angle.

in 26" barrels we see +2900 fps all the time with a 300 gr berger. many will comfortably do 2950 fps in that length barrel. And thats with a relatively short 3.670" oal to fit in any mag designed for the lapua diameter cases.

in a 28" barrel its normal to break 3000 fps. 30" barrels even more. All this and still using a conventional long life throat design, no magic throats here the WILL reduce throat life to some degree. Just plain old, old fashioned good long life design.

after years of Shawn trying to make his EDGE run with my AX with special throat designs and such, it still needed a 30" barrel to match what my AX would do in a 26-27" barrel. As such, the 338 Terminator showed up to match my 338 AX!!! 😁😉

the 338 AX would be a perfect option for what your goals with this rifle! As would be the Term. They are for all intent and purpose, identical in nearly every way.