bet sub sonic combo for 500 yards ?

NEMTHunter has a point, the really high BC projectiles will hold their own in the wind deflection department. When I did my project several years back (look at the date this thread originally started) I was looking at the higher BC .510 bullets like the 750 Amax. When you compare it (the 750 Amax) started @ 1000 fps to a .300 WinMag firing a 215 Berger @ 2950 fps they are almost identical in wind deflection at 500.
After years of 375Rifleman posting and asking questions on this subject, I think the possibility of hunting at extended range may be included in his quest. If that's the case, then stick with the .510 caliber. Like others have stated it is more expensive to shoot however.

Now back to the OP's question:
the standard twist rate for a 50 BMG is 1-15". I did as others here have stated and went with a much faster twist. It will stabilize anything made and probably anything that could be made, within reason.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.