bet sub sonic combo for 500 yards ?

myrifleisLapua

been looking into a lot of sub sonic info lately . What would be the best combo for lobbing heavy pills out to 500 yards or so for steel ? looking at this bullet
for the 458 socom GS CUSTOM BULLETS - 458566SP195 Technical Data
only thing I read that a longer throat would affect accuracy if you wanted to shoot factory ammo . also in a bolt gun is there any problems pushing the socom past 35k psi if you wanted ? I was interested in the 520 whisper but I read it wont feed from a aics mag because of the .510 bullets ? according to gs that 566gr bullet can be load with the length of the 458 socom case to a oal of 2.825

thought about it but I read wind is hell on the 300 blkout at 500.
I think it drifts 9 moa with a 10 mph crosswind . from what I read getting
barrels for the socom is a pain in the @$$ . looked at something short like the 450 marlin but it would need a long action for the feeding from a dbm. a lot of the chassis I like are short action only right now becaue their filling those orders first before making a run of long actions chassis in rem 700. I asked ssk about the 510 whisper to see if they had brass for it. its impressive with the amax out to 500 yards

probably any of the 35s would 338 federal etc but I want something different and big. ssk just got back to me they said brass for the whisper is 5.50$ a case from lapua brass. though they may have meant 5.55$ a cartridge because she said a round not a case .

well I might get something from ssk.
leaning towards the 50 American eagle is a 50 AE case straight walled to .510
to take 50 bmg projos and launch them at sub sonic speeds . brass would be easier to make than for the whisper .

Sorry i had my head up my a££

It's cool...You were more right than you know. The .338-08 was around long before the .338 Federal. So, you were on the money, but it's easier to find dies for a .338 Federal. I'm not sure of the similarities and differences. I do know the .338 Federal is a wildcat form of the .338-08.

It's cool...You were more right than you know. The .338-08 was around long before the .338 Federal. So, you were on the money, but it's easier to find dies for a .338 Federal. I'm not sure of the similarities and differences. I do know the .338 Federal is a wildcat form of the .338-08.

Hmmm. Im gonna research this. Thanks

I just went down this road. I ended up with my own version of a .510.
I piggybacked off what someone else had done with the longer ultra mag cases. When I called them to have one of their barrels made I was told they no longer do them and they don't even have a reamer any longer. So I had my own made. I had also conversed with SSK a couple times about a .510 Whisper and I liked that guy's attitude so much I decided not to work with him.

yeah he certainly has a "personality" that one lol
. I think I will just wait and see when the long action chassis I want comes out
seen a thread on here about a 470 capstick now that looked fun gun).
loaded rounds for the 510 whisper would probably be like 10$ a round don't think so.
I don't have any money right now so I have time to decide :D

The brass for the .510 Whisper is gonna cost ya. 338 Lapua cases aren't cheap, then add in the machining work. I have a buddy that works at Remington and got me a supply of 300 RUM cases for cheap, so I really don't know what they are going for. Then I got a couple hundred pulled .50 BMG API projectiles from a supplier for $0.50 per. If I use 750gr Amax or Lehigh Subsonic bullets they will cost about $2 a piece. The Amax has a BC so high that out to the 500 yards you want you lose less than 100 fps velocity, the wind drift is minimal and it'll still hit like a hammer. Plus if I ever want to hunt Blue Whale I can push the velocity to over supersonic speeds.
As far as actions go, mine is built on a Savage long action. However I would have to push the long BMG projectiles really far into the case to get them to load into the magazine. So far that I might as well have made the chamber shorter. Not a problem with the straight walled case, just wouldn't have ran the reamer in as far. Mine will load shorter bullets into and feed from the mag, but I don't care if I have to run it single. I do it with my .338 Edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.