Best Value 223/556 Barrel?

I'm probably gonna get some feedback for this, but I have had fantastic luck with Midway's AR Stoner barrels. I've bought five or six, each under $100 on sale, in different lengths/profiles for .223 Wylde and .300 Blk. All are shooters. I know others haven't been so lucky...

Shop around for a Satern or Liberty barrel for your AR. Some of the Brownells barrels were built by them. I've got 2 of them one in 223 Wylde and the other in 65 Grendel. Super quality and reasonably priced.

Last edited:
I'm probably gonna get some feedback for this, but I have had fantastic luck with Midway's AR Stoner barrels. I've bought five or six, each under $100 on sale, in different lengths/profiles for .223 Wylde and .300 Blk. All are shooters. I know others haven't been so lucky...
I can't confirm, but I've heard BCA makes the AR Stoner battles for Midway.

I've had several different AR's over the past five years and different barrels. If you just want to plink and are ok with 2 MOA, get a BCA. I have one and I can get a consistent 1.5 MOA out of it my reloads and 55 gr FMJ's. I just bought a BA barrel in .300 blkout and ran a bore scope down it, dang it was nasty. Cleaned it up, and and it looks and shoots great so far. I also have a 1:7 twist Roscoe barrel I'm happy with as well. There's lots of barrels to choose from. If I was doing a one and done, I'd buy a White Oak or maybe Criterion, or a few others known for great accuracy.

My younger son and I are working on his first AR upper. We have tentatively decided on 223/556 as the caliber in a 16" light to medium profile. He is 9 currently and we want to keep the weight down.

Who makes a good barrel for the dollar? I see Ballistic Advantage and Faxon alot in the $150-250 price range, but read good and bad on them? I have been looking at Wilson Combat also, on sale they can go under $300.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thank
Harley
I have a 20" Odin 6.5 grendel, Wilson 300HAM'R 18" & Faxon14.5" & 20" 5.56,10.5" 300Blk & a 18" 308. All shoot exelent sub moa. Check CMMG , they are 6ARC 224Valk & shoot sub moa & exelent price also. Availability for exactly what u want would be my choice from any of these 4. Faxon pencil beat old colt by miles for stringing up target . Ian from forgotten weapons had a great video a few yrs ago of comparison of pencil barrels.

Del-Ton, Rosco, and BA barrels have never let me down. You can usually find all three of them on sale somewhere online at any given time.

I've got one of the FN CHF 16 barrels still in the shipping tube. If it shoots as good as some have reported and as I hope then I would say that would be the best dollar value.

I've got one of the FN CHF 16 barrels still in the shipping tube. If it shoots as good as some have reported and as I hope then I would say that would be the best dollar value.
How much did that end up costing you if you don't mind me asking.

This is a super accurate 20 in SS barrel light weight because of the .625 inch gas block size. 1:9 twist rate and most accurate load is 27.4 grains of CFE 223 to right at 3100 fps with 62 grain HPBT. I found the tightest groups under loading compared to 3200 fps. All the same Lake city brass and Remington Bench Rest primers. Pre Plandemic I could buy the bulk 5000 or 10,000 boxes of these match 62 grain bullets for about 10 cents each. Using a lead sled rifle rest I have made some 5 shot groups of under quarter size at 200 yards. This is my ground squirrel gun. Titanium muzzle brake and 2.5 pound single stage trigger. I don't have it at this house so I can't tell you the MFG of the match grade barrel. but I think that scope is one of usual 8X32 power to take one squirrels and prarrie poodles way out there.

Do not buy 1:7 twist in 20 inch and longer barrels it causes 55 grain bullets to fly sideways through paper even at 50 yards.

Photo shopped away my serial numbers, But these are forged Anderson uppers and lowers. I bought a bunch of them plain aluminum for camo painting later.
1pistonrifle.jpg

Last edited: