.223/5.56 barrel

Really it comes down to what intended bullet weight. IMO the 223 case and magazine is limited to about 75 grain pills. All of my AR15's are 8 and 9 twist and my varminting ones are 20 and 24 inch barrels using Rifle length gas ports with smaller port diameters to limit gas pressure losses. I did a post here on gas port diameters and another one on the measured pressure at Carbine , mid, and Rifle length gas ports.

barrel length is lots of velocity difference. 16 inch are carbine length gas tube. So the first problem is that the pressure is higher in the barrel and it bleeds off limiting the bullet speed. the higher pressure pulse also beats the crud out of the buffer weight....

In chrono testing my friends 16 inch against my 20 inch was 300 fps loss using 62 gr HPBT. CFE 223 powder 20 inch was 3106 fps and the 16 inch was actually 2762 Average.

So I would not own a 16 inch. :(

I used to be able to buy 1000's of 62 gr HPBT's for cheap fun varminting. also in 55 grain using HP or even soft points was much better than heavy or non expanding bullets. 16 inch 75 grain are horribly slow and pretty worthless

Really it comes down to what intended bullet weight. IMO the 223 case and magazine is limited to about 75 grain pills. All of my AR15's are 8 and 9 twist and my varminting ones are 20 and 24 inch barrels using Rifle length gas ports with smaller port diameters to limit gas pressure losses. I did a post here on gas port diameters and another one on the measured pressure at Carbine , mid, and Rifle length gas ports.

barrel length is lots of velocity difference. 16 inch are carbine length gas tube. So the first problem is that the pressure is higher in the barrel and it bleeds off limiting the bullet speed. the higher pressure pulse also beats the crud out of the buffer weight....

In chrono testing my friends 16 inch against my 20 inch was 300 fps loss using 62 gr HPBT. CFE 223 powder 20 inch was 3106 fps and the 16 inch was actually 2762 Average.

So I would not own a 16 inch. :(

I used to be able to buy 1000's of 62 gr HPBT's for cheap fun varminting. also in 55 grain using HP or even soft points was much better than heavy or non expanding bullets. 16 inch 75 grain are horribly slow and pretty worthless
At 300 yards max they'd be fine, but yes it'll be slow. Depends on how flat you want to shoot might be a question he might ask? 40-62gr will work fine in 16" and have decent velocity.

I agree, skip the 16 and if it isn't mid gas I wouldn't touch it with a stick...... Best 18" that used to be common was the DPMS Mk12 barrels, I have several that just stack bullets and doesn't much matter what weight. From 55 to 77 getting a load to shoot a minute is simple just load and shoot almost, around 1/2 minute with good bullets and loading has been possible in all of them. These were made probably 15-18 years ago? I have one left in reserve that isn't for sale but you might find one somewhere with some looking. The 20" heavy from the same vintage were also hammers. The last 2 I have messed with were in last year and half-ish from Palmetto, a 20" light contour 556 chrome lined (that was advertised as an FN barrel maybe?) and an 18" heavy stainless 308, the 308 is a pretty solid minute barrel and the 556 is minute and a half maybe better and both barrels have been shot to 300+. They have had no load development done, 308 doesn't much care what you put through it as middle book loads and several bullets shoot plenty well, the 556 has had middle book loads with TBBC 62 or Gold Dot for handloads and mostly 10+ year old Fed M193 in it. The BA barrels are supposed to be good but I haven't personally used one. I think most barrels now are pretty decent, and will get you in the minute and a half range. If you want to increase the odds you can really stack bullets you can always look at JP, White Oak, Rock River, and Creedmore has a Criterion 20" service rifle barrel with really good reviews that has caught my eye a few times because it is quite a bit less than comparable barrels. Good luck!

I used my 16" 1-9 twist out to 400 yards (53 gr vmax) for sagerats. But beyond that clean kills got less reliable. 300 yards was fine but around 200 yards was the sweet spot. I'll be installing a 20" lightweight 1-7" twist soon to try 75 ELDM's.

AR 15 Discounts

$162ish

BA 7 twist 5.56

I have 2 rifles built around this barrel, with Unknown Munitions 62gr TTSX or TSX, can't remember, they are both 3/4" rifles slow fire, 5rd mag dump they are 1 1/2" rifles at 100yds

I have an 18" ARP 3 groove barrel that is a 1/2 MOA rifle out as far as I am capable of shooting it, I would like to see what it would do in the right hands.

An example of 20 inch SS super lightweight match grade barrel 5.56 chamber. 8:1 piston gun with a 2 inch titanium brake. 2.5 pound single stage trigger. forged upper and lower , chrome bolt full auto weight , trued barrel to upper. One of my better competition and varmint rifles.

With all the resources of the military did you ever wonder why they settled on the 62 grain highest BC bullets? That's why I shoot Armscore 62 HPBT they have a .360 BC. Compared to these that have .355 bc.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165117462?pid=300177

I just opened a 4000 box from 2019 and they were only 7.2 cents each or like $75 for a 1000 back then
1pistonrifle.jpg

CFE 223, Leverrevolution, 2000-MR, H414, AR Comp are all your friends. I've tested about 10 powders with quality chronos placed at 20 feet so muzzle blast isn't a problem

Last edited:
I started printing my own targets years ago. 5 shot group 100 yards. I did dial it in to zero and it's a real ground squirrel gun. I've done similar groups at 200, but using all the same cases neck trued, BR primer, and hand measuring each powder load. These were just mass produced by me on a dillion 550. I actually have two target comp rifles with 11 degree crowns that are better.

Squirrels aren't a very big target when you start talking out to 300 yards

Shots2701.jpg

Last edited:
RCBS neck inside and outside trueing machine. With trimming to length. I have sets for all my calibers.

Box is full of annealed, resized, swagged primer pockets, and then wet tumbled 223 brass to remove all oil and carbon. Generally I trim to 1.770 just to have a more stable neck for holding the bullets VS 1.750 Look at the SAAMI chamber diagrams for Wylde or even 5.56 chambers

RCB2762.jpg
DSCN2767.jpg

Last edited: