Best Shooting / Hunting Novel?

Brown Dog

Should be clear by now that I'm having a quiet Friday afternoon...!

Might be interesting to compile a bibliography of recommended fiction 'reads' where the hunting / shooting content is enjoyable / realistic.

I'll kick off with 2 books by Stephen Hunter that I enjoyed: "Point of Impact" and "Time to Hunt"

Good stories, technical shooting stuff mostly OK!

Anyone else?

Maneaters of Kumoon. Col Corbett

Still afraid of the dark after reading that one. And it was not fiction.

Read both of yours and they were good.

When I get home I will post you a good one like those that I think you will enjoy.

Here you go.
"Hunter" By James Byron Huggins

one party Science Fiction, one part horror, one part White fang, one part survival on the Canadien shield, one part Spec Ops. one part big gov't conspiracy. Guns -45-70 and 50 Barrett.

Seasons not in yet? Cause you don't normally dither around with such as this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I'm glad you did , this looks like a good way to build a must read list for when the seasons are "out" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gifBoth of your 's are good reads, Same for the Huggins books. Of course eveyone has read the african's ( Ruark. Patterson, Bell , Capstick and so on ) Have you read one of the last of an american western writers ( Mr. Louis L'Amour) books that is not even based on the west? It's titled "Last of the breed" and takes place on another continent, a great read .
Hope a lot of us will pitch in on this as it will be marvelous source of choices for the rainy day purchases .

Jim

Don't know about novels?

Death in the Long Grass, by Capstick. It's a spellbinder.

The Big Game Animals of North America, by Jack O'Connor. Excellent.

Good hunting. LB

Gentlemen,
Great responses so far; if you'll allow me to summarise the recommendations thus far:

Fiction:

Hot Springs, Point of Impact and Time to Hunt by Stephen Hunter
"Hunter" by James Byron Huggins
"Last of the breed" Louis L'Amour

Non Fiction:

Maneaters of Kumoon. Col Corbett
Title? -Elmer Keith
Death in the Long Grass, by Capstick
The Big Game Animals of North America, by Jack O'Connor.

Please add more!

If we stretch the meaning a bit: The HUNT For Red October, by Tom Clancy. Forget the movie, the book was a thriller you will never forget.

"When the dogs bark treed" by Elliott Barker. Some of the most captivating reading I've found. True stories of a mountain lion hunter in the New Mexico Wilds around the turn of the century. He makes you feel like you are there with him on horseback.

Guess I shouldn't assume /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ok then "Horn of the Hunter" by Robert C. Ruark no0nfiction and predates Capstick ( matter of fact Capstick refers to Ruarks experiences often). Remember the movie "The ghost and the darkness", ok then , try Col. James Pattersons book "The lions of Tsavo " on for size as the movie was made after his real life experiences.
Jim

Freddy Forsyth..... Day of the Jackal and The devil`s Alternative.

OK, I've got a samll gun/hunting library. Among my favorites that have not been listed are:
Shooter Galloway - by Roy Chandler of Iron Brigade Armory
B-Zone - by Al Voth
Rainbow Six - by Tom Clancey
White Hunter - by JA Hunter

The only account I have read of those events was in gunmagazines and in Death in the Long Grass.

However, the movie stunk, from a few technical and logical aspects. Can you imagine stalking two maneaters in heavy cover with an unnfamiliar weapon you had never fired?

Good hunting. LB

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.