Best Shooting / Hunting Novel?

"The Buffalo Harvest" by Frank H. Mayer

"In Search Of The Buffalo" The Storey of J. Wright Mooar by Charles G. Anderson.

Two fascinating insights into the real lives of 2 oldtime buffalo hunters,
Frank Mayer who in 1954 died at the age of 104 and Josiah Wright Mooar one of the few men to shoot a white buffalo.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

BROWN DOG

War of the rats by David Robbins.

Set in Stalingrad it is a novel based on the Russian sniper Vassily Zaitsev and his alleged duel with the German sniper Koenig. I don`t read much fiction but this is a gem for anyone interested in shooting.
As an aside,STALINGRAD by Antony Beevor, whilst obviously being non-fiction,is a book you will not put down.It is difficult to comprehend the horror endured by both sides in this battle.

NICK.

UNITENDED CONSEQUENCES BY JOHN ROSS

This is A MUST READ for the gun owner,Hunter.

It is a 861 page spell binding filled book with guns ,shooting, history, hunting, flying, more guns and just enough sex to spice it up a little bit.

A great novel for the gun person every gun person should read it.
I picked this book up and couldn't put it I have read over a couple of times every body I recommend it to has had nothing but great things to say about it.

Resurrecting this thread a little;

Just finished reading an airport purchase:

"Roberts Ridge" by Malcolm MacPherson

An excellent book; a non-fiction account of US Forces during a harrowing 17 hours on an Afghan mountain top in Mar 02. Recommended.

[ QUOTE ]

Just finished reading an airport purchase:

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt,

Hope you are not fogged in at Heathrow? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Check out White Hunters; The Goden Age of African Safaris by Brian Herne.

This is a must read for every hunter, because we all have dreamed of those legendary times. This non-fiction account of depicts the adventures of the famous PH's, the continent & the game.

Merry Christmas,
Dave

Dang, first it is hard to find an authentically or correct (fiction) book regarding guns and shooting (nothing like reading about a tactical rifle in .444 marlin.) But yes, All of Stephan Hunters books are good. However, I do have one "fiction" read to recommend, "The Long Rifle" by Stewart Edward White. It is the story of Daniel Boone's rifle..

Non Fiction reads, well I have quite a few, but I'll mention a few of my favorites.

For Capstick fans; "The Last Ivory Hunter", Saga of Wally Johnson. Tells it how it is hunting Africa in the 30's-60's, even has a story about using the "left-overs" from a lion victim for bait.

Elmer Keiths book; "Hell, I was there" is the classic,classic.

"Weatherby" by Grits Grisham is the story of Ed & how Weatherby came to be. Very well written and interesting.

"The Mad Trapper of Rat River"; Story of the infamous Albert Johnson. An old Charles Bronson movie was based roughly on this true story, (the one where he is running across the mountains being chased by mounties).

"Trophies of the Heart" by Russell Thornberry.. Some serious Moose and Whitetail hunting there...

"Alaskas Wolf Man" by Jim Rearden. Story of one of Alaskas first "Game Warden's"

Love to see some more titles listed for ideas.. I gotta go order that "Shooter Galloway" book, hope PS still has it...

Rod

Here's one that is a good read. "The Ben Lilly Ledgend" by J. Frank Dobie. This is a book about the late 1800's lion and bear hunter. This man was beyond tough!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts