Best scope for *gasp* only $400?

smtippin

I'm looking to outfit a Tikka T3 chambered in 7 mag with the best scope I can afford and while I realize I will not enter the 1000 yard club with a measly $400 scope, it is all I can afford right now. I've worked up a load that gets me great accuracy out to 400 and 500 reliably but my hand me down scope is limiting me at this point. I hope that a scope in my price range could allow me to take ethical shots out to 600 yards. Any advice on scope upgrade is greatly appreciated.

At this point, I'm looking at the Weaver GrandSlam 6-20x40 or possibly an intro Vortex scope. I am not wedded to any one brand, so any sound advice would be great.

Thanks for the wisdom,
s

By the way, I have searched the forum a bit and I have not found a thread to specifically address this question. Again, thank you.

A Burris scope with the Ballistic Mil Dot reticle would allow you to get out to 600 yards using just your reticle. You could pick up a Fullfield II 6.5-20x for around $400. They offer a bright image and good clarity up to the 16x range (reticle is calibrated at 14x anyway). I had one for 6 years and it allowed me to hit 8 inch targets out to 600 yards with ease.

Here you go!

Viper HS Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 5-15x 44mm Side Focus 1/10 MIL Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle Matte

The members over at Sniper's Hide absolutely love it.

The only bad news is it os backordered until August.

I got one of these, and to be totally honest I'm unimpressed with how critical eye placement is. If your eye is not 100% dead center in the scope the image whites out. I didn't even notice it until I let a few people try it out and they all had a hard time getting a nice clear image. I guess for my own personal shooting it doesn't bother me, but it's annoying when other people can't get settled in behind your gun. However, once you do get settled in behind the scope I don't have any complaints about image quality for $400.

On a positive note, the turrets have functioned properly and I've loved the opportunity to learn dialing in Mils for only $400.

Check camera land, a sponsor, for the Vortex Viper. They were on sale, not sure if the sale is still on. Viper 6.5x20x44 plex cross hairs $280.00

Last edited:
I have two AR's with scopes in that $ range, one has a Vortex, and the other a Nitrex TR2.

The Nitrex works a little better in my off the wall "testing" using the USAF 1951 optics target and night time hog hunting....

Plus I have a Burris Extreme Tactical that I purchased for just a little over that on sale that is also very good.

If you know someone that has a scope(s) that you are thinking about purchasing, ask them if you can test them different light conditions, it can help you make a selection

First off, let me say this is wrong: "I realize I will not enter the 1000 yard club with a measly $400 scope." There are some O.K. scopes in the $400.00 range, to include Vortex. I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X44 on a 260 and am doing fine at 600 yards (haven't shot it further yet). The eye relief on this scope isn't pretty on higher powers.

I would say the best scope under $400.00 is a Super Sniper from SWFA. You can search the web and read a thousand or more reviews. I have three and just ordered another (there is a $30 off coupon going right now). The downside is it is a fixed power, the upsides are numerous. This scope will get you to the 1000 yard mark.

smtippin said:
...At this point, I'm looking at the Weaver GrandSlam 6-20x40 or possibly an intro Vortex scope. I am not wedded to any one brand, so any sound advice would be great...

For a hunting scope at that range, I would recommend dropping down to 16x or even 12X to improve glare performance. I also recommend going up to a 50 mm objective to get higher magnification at dawn & dusk.

I don't recommend Vortex Viper because the glare performance is below average for that price point.

For 400-500 yds you could go with a good BDC reticle. A Burris Fullfield E1 is a good choice. In that price range, you could also look at a Hawke Sidewinder 30. The optical performance is outstanding (for that price point).

I would recommend you consider and check out a Bushnell Elite 4200. They are allot of scope for the money.

There is a $150 Sightron 3-9 Si MD sitting on my 7mag. I have a lot of scopes that cost more but that scope fits the light 7mag just right!

judging from the number of vortex scopes for sale at the hide classifieds, something ain't right?

I'd suggest the bushnell elite 4200 series if you want a variable power scope. If you're ok with a fixed power scope, then check out the swfa ss scopes.

judging from the number of vortex scopes for sale at the hide classifieds, something ain't right?

I don't know what you are talking about?

I just looked at the first 3 pages on the Hide's classifieds for optics and below is what I saw:

# of Night Force optics posts - 15

# of Leupold optics posts - 15

# of Vortex optics posts - 7

It seems like to me that more than twice as many people are selling Night Force and Leupolds than Vortex!

I have no complaints about my Vortex scopes, I absolutely love them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.