Best sub $400 hunting scope?

I don't know where you plan to hunt but I wouldn't get a fixed power over 4X. The higher the power the slower and harder it is to pick up the target, especially at close range. I like a good variable scope. I have a couple Weaver Grand Slams that I like.

Happy Sunday y'all. I have two buddies in need of a hunting scope that are both in the same boat of limited funds.

My first friend and I were at the range yesterday with his 30-06 sporting a Vanguard scope, we kept dialing elevation but could not get any on target change. Eventually the reticle even canted under recoil. This is a replacement from Vanguard for another broken optic. Needless to say he's done with Vanguard.

Another buddy is a brand new hunter, I talked him up budget a little to a Tikka T3X and now that rifle needs a scope.

Both have a budget of around $400. Anyone have a suggestion in this range? I am less familiar down in this range. A quick look on Midway shows options from Nikon, Burris, Bushnell, and Vortex. Any great closeout deals?
I have to 100% agree with riflehunter1776. The swfa scopes are probably the best scope on the market for your money. I currently shoot one on my 257 weatherby & my 338/378 weatherby. They are a fixed power scope, but I have proven them both to past 1000 yards. I live in Alaska and between the terrain and unstable weather these scopes have preformed flawless.

Don't know if it's been said but I got a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10 on Amazon for $380 and it's a great scope. If you go non CDS then it's only about $320.

Best deal I know of under $400.00 (with free S&H!)

MidwayUSA (unfortunately but, hell of a deal!)
Athlon Optics Ares BTR Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 2.5-15x 50mm Side Focus First Focal Illuminated APLR3 MOA Reticle Matte
  • Product #: 812085
  • Athlon Optics #: 212001
  • UPC #: 813869020900
$399.99
Free Shipping

These are usually twice this price. They are excellent scopes for under $1,000.00

I highly recommend the above too...

I own a couple of these...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Athlon-Arg...panwfm:sc:USPSPriorityFlatRateBox!77449!US!-1

I actually bought my last one of these on ebay for $308.00...NIB!

I have to 100% agree with riflehunter1776. The swfa scopes are probably the best scope on the market for your money. I currently shoot one on my 257 weatherby & my 338/378 weatherby. They are a fixed power scope, but I have proven them both to past 1000 yards. I live in Alaska and between the terrain and unstable weather these scopes have preformed flawless.

And it's hard to argue with these guys too...SWFA make a solid product!

I own two fixed X16 and one 4x15 (I think the lowest power is 4) variable, they are on the guns that will be extended beyond 600yds !

I have a fixed 16 SWFA SS 1/10 mil quad hollow diamond reticle 30mm with FX No Limit rings. It's 100% tracking & easy over 200moa adjustable with those rings.
I got in a trade and guy camo painted it well. I like the hollow diamond reticle but I prefer to shoot on 10x at most and many times 1.25x, 2/2.5x, 3-6x even more. I simple find a larger FOV easier to find targets fast and I don't jump around as much brain trying to overcompensate, even sand bagged on a cement bench. High power drives me nuts.
I've owned & still do have some 6x24 but I only zoom in to see how much I should click or hold off/over/under. Then I always get tighter groups on 6x.

I have replaced many of my scopes with mostly Weaver Super Slam scopes.These are high quality optics made in Japan.I've never had any issue with them.The last Weaver I bought was a redesigned Grand Slam with the EBX etched glass reticle.This scope is also made in Japan.This one runs just under $400.The scope pictured in the link doesn't show it,but it does have side focus.https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-re...cope-1-tube-3-12x42mm-ex-x-reticle-matte.html They have the 3x12x50 dual x for $299.99

Last edited:
I have replaced many of my scopes with mostly Weaver Super Slam scopes.These are high quality optics made in Japan.I've never had any issue with them.The last Weaver I bought was a redesigned Grand Slam with the EBX etched glass reticle.This scope is also made in Japan.This one runs just under $400.The scope pictured in the link doesn't show it,but it does have side focus.https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-re...cope-1-tube-3-12x42mm-ex-x-reticle-matte.html They have the 3x12x50 dual x for $299.99

Only problem with weaver is they are going out of business and Bushnell is taking them over. Bushnell doesn't work on their scopes. They just replace them with something that has similar features.

OP's exact question is best under $400. Best at what. I personally love old refurbished Weavers and new, Bushnell, anything with Japanese optics.
I had a dealer of Sightron tell me I must never have looked through a top tier scope. Yeah I have and I don't think they're worth the cost for the type of shooting I do.
There's a company called Hawke and their AirMax AMX reticle is one of my favorites. These are Magnum spring gun rated scopes for double direction recoil with lifetime no question guarantee.
The new 2x7x32 runs $178.00 & a 4x12x40 Airmax AMX runs $212.00 at most.
I do like SWFA 1/10mil quad but 1/4 extended mil dots and hash marks allow me to do what I need.

For consideration, I'd check GunBroker. I managed to pick up three VX-3i 4.5-14x50s, each with side focus, for $40X.00 shipped each.

They are incredible scopes, in my opinion, and have done be very well in the woods and fields of SW PA.

Best deal I know of under $400.00 (with free S&H!)

MidwayUSA (unfortunately but, hell of a deal!)
Athlon Optics Ares BTR Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 2.5-15x 50mm Side Focus First Focal Illuminated APLR3 MOA Reticle Matte
  • Product #: 812085
  • Athlon Optics #: 212001
  • UPC #: 813869020900
$399.99
Free Shipping

These are usually twice this price. They are excellent scopes for under $1,000.00
Athlon Optics Ares BTR Rifle Scope just bought an Athlon 4.5x27x50 FFP the same except power is more. For 424.00 from either Amazon or Midway this is a 1000+ dollar scope on sale a great buy.

if you could find a Zeiss Conquest 3 to9 or 4 to 12 that's what I would recommend but a scope is just like an automobile what works best for one guy . it doesn't work so good for another guy. it comes down to you things like the style of radical you like. I like the Leupold glass but I can't find a scope a radical I like it. good luck shoot straight

Happy Sunday y'all. I have two buddies in need of a hunting scope that are both in the same boat of limited funds.

My first friend and I were at the range yesterday with his 30-06 sporting a Vanguard scope, we kept dialing elevation but could not get any on target change. Eventually the reticle even canted under recoil. This is a replacement from Vanguard for another broken optic. Needless to say he's done with Vanguard.

Another buddy is a brand new hunter, I talked him up budget a little to a Tikka T3X and now that rifle needs a scope.

Both have a budget of around $400. Anyone have a suggestion in this range? I am less familiar down in this range. A quick look on Midway shows options from Nikon, Burris, Bushnell, and Vortex. Any great closeout deals?
Look here: /shepherdscopes.com/product/salvo-series-5-30x56/

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts