Best Remage barrel

Thanks guys!! Ok, so far, I have 3 votes for Criterion, 2 PVA, 3 Preferred, 1 McGowan, 1 bugholes. I'm kinda leaning towards a cut-rifled barrel, but mainly cuz I've never had one and seems like the bench boys really prefer them. Thoughts on cut-rifled Remage prefits? Sure appreciate all comments and opinions!
I've had two barrels from Preferred Barrels that would not shoot, both copper fouled terribly, and cold bore shots were 3 moa flyers.
They don't even hand lap their barrels, at least mine weren't.
I'd get a prefit with a quality blank like a Rock Creek, Bartlein etc.
Here's a company offering a solid Remage setup.
https://craddockprecision.com/rem-age-pre-fit-barrels-bartlein/

Westernhuntr: How long ago and did they do anything for you? So far, mine doesn't really copper foul and cleans up really fast so this is interesting comment for me to understand for potential next barrel.
Thx

Thanks guys!! Ok, so far, I have 3 votes for Criterion, 2 PVA, 3 Preferred, 1 McGowan, 1 bugholes. I'm kinda leaning towards a cut-rifled barrel, but mainly cuz I've never had one and seems like the bench boys really prefer them. Thoughts on cut-rifled Remage prefits? Sure appreciate all comments and opinions!
bugholes sells brux, bartlein , Krieger, mullerworks, shilen, rockcreek among others you should be able to get what you want from them

Another vote for Criterian. Put one on a savage target action in 6.5-284. Shoots in the 2's.

My Brux barrel had the smoothest feel when you ran a patch down the barrel. Cleaned up fast. It shot very well first time out. Other barrels were button rifling and shot very well but seemed to get better after some shots.
With a bore scope my Green Mountain .224 dia. barrel made into a 22-250 AI is the cleanest, smoothest with no marks right from Green Mountain and they said at the time they don't lap the barrels. I had this barrel set up by my Smith and it shoots lights out every day. The CM blank was $35.00 plus shipping on sale.
I have used Remington, Savage, Browning, Douglas XX, CBI, Shilen, Brux, Krieger, Baer, Green Mountain.
Get what you want! Life is short. Then when you get what you think is the best you will shoot your best.

Be Safe, Be well...............................KB

{Picture of rifle up in corner is a all Shilen custom 6mmBR with a slow twist barrel and shoots awesome. One hole out to 300 yds and under 2" and under at 600 yds. At 1000 yds it doesn't do so good due to 67 gr max weight custom bullets. But is always under 12" on a good day.}

Custom 6.5x280ai remage from Preferred Barrels. 2 month turnaround. Great price. 1st pic is two 4 shot groups .5 grain change in load. 2nd pic is a 3 shot group.

Attachments

• CFF675DF-6BF3-4A47-86D0-C610D7F6060D.jpeg
    CFF675DF-6BF3-4A47-86D0-C610D7F6060D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
  • 1A144FBD-64CA-4B3D-96DA-A85B261E13AB.jpeg
    1A144FBD-64CA-4B3D-96DA-A85B261E13AB.jpeg
    761.1 KB · Views: 80
What caliber are you planning to shoot? Because, mcrees precision has some barrels and they guarantee them to shoot 1/2moa with hornady match factory ammo!!! They will do it, I kick myself for getting rid of the 6.5 creed I sold. Was incredibly accurate with handloads.

What caliber are you planning to shoot? Because, mcrees precision has some barrels and they guarantee them to shoot 1/2moa with hornady match factory ammo!!! They will do it, I kick myself for getting rid of the 6.5 creed I sold. Was incredibly accurate with handloads.
I've chosen a 6BR-Norma. I already have dies, cases, and love the little round. Very easy to tune, plenty good for coyotes, Texas deer, smaller varmints, paper. : )
Had no idea there were so many choices, wow. We live in a great country!

I've chosen a 6BR-Norma. I already have dies, cases, and love the little round. Very easy to tune, plenty good for coyotes, Texas deer, smaller varmints, paper. : )
Had no idea there were so many choices, wow. We live in a great country!
you darn sure picked a good one

Westernhuntr: How long ago and did they do anything for you? So far, mine doesn't really copper foul and cleans up really fast so this is interesting comment for me to understand for potential next barrel.
Thx
This was last year
They gave me a discount on another barrel that I got right before hunting season.
I put close to 300 rounds through it with 4 different bullets, basically wasted a ton of time and money on load development and finally pulled it at the end of the season.
I should mail it back and tell them to do whatever they want with the useless thing.

For me this was a learning experience, you get what you pay for, and I could have bought the best one out there after what I wasted on Preferred Barrels.

Another good option is X-caliber barrels. They have done nice by me. Their barrels are hand lapped, break in quick, don't copper foul up and look good in a bore scope.
More food for thought. 😎

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.