Best Remage barrel

patchman

I'm somewhat new to this site and have a burning question. I need a 6BR-Norma remage bbl. I'm getting a Rem 700 SA (that I already own) trued by my smith and need a remage bbl for a switch rig. I have done a few Savages and love them, but have never done a 700 prefit. Who makes the best and most consistently good prefits out there?
By the way, I would strongly consider a custom action, but already have the 700 SA, and so plan to go the "truing" route. I also want a shorter bbl to make it a little easier to handle and lighter...22" perhaps. Thanks!

If you are having it trued, why not have the same smith just make up the barrel you want. Pick a good quality barrel and a reputable smith and you should be ok.

PVA has a website listing remage barrels.

I've had excellent luck with McGowan. Any accuracy difference between my 338 Edge McGowan Remage hunting rifle and my Bartlein F-Class rifle is extremely minor, frankly I'm more impressed with the McGowan given the rifle platform it sits in. I have 3 McGowan Remages total, I'm happy with every one.

FYI - I have a setup with limited COAL so I requested Preferred Barrel to set the SAAMI chamber as close to the short side as possible so I could get 0.010 off the lands with most standard BC style bullets like a 180AB etc. They did it perfectly and I can set the jump for the COAL I have within my DM which is a very nice for reloading options within my setup. So far it shoots everything I load, just trying to decide what bullet/load I am going to go with right now. The reason for my chamber is so my son could buy factory and still shoot fine with it as well.

I just did a 7mm Rem Mag with a Wilson from Ragged Holes. Shoots 3/4 moa with factory ammo and a bone stock Rem 700 action with no bedding.

Thanks guys!! Ok, so far, I have 3 votes for Criterion, 2 PVA, 3 Preferred, 1 McGowan, 1 bugholes. I'm kinda leaning towards a cut-rifled barrel, but mainly cuz I've never had one and seems like the bench boys really prefer them. Thoughts on cut-rifled Remage prefits? Sure appreciate all comments and opinions!

Thanks guys!! Ok, so far, I have 3 votes for Criterion, 2 PVA, 3 Preferred, 1 McGowan, 1 bugholes. I'm kinda leaning towards a cut-rifled barrel, but mainly cuz I've never had one and seems like the bench boys really prefer them. Thoughts on cut-rifled Remage prefits? Sure appreciate all comments and opinions!

If you want cut rifled then have Bugholes build you one with a Bartlein. They can even flute/thread etc for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.