Best puffy layer for reasonable price.

Thanks for the tip. It stays on top (or in top) of my pack to where it is easily accessible when I stop moving and may be stagnant for a while. I know with our sleep system that when you pull it out of the compression bag you need to fluff it up so to speak. I mentioned the field jacket liner and puffy jacket/pants because they can be found cheap and they straight up work for keeping you warm.

Thanks for the tip. It stays on top (or in top) of my pack to where it is easily accessible when I stop moving and may be stagnant for a while. I know with our sleep system that when you pull it out of the compression bag you need to fluff it up so to speak. I mentioned the field jacket liner and puffy jacket/pants because they can be found cheap and they straight up work for keeping you warm.

I tried a down quilt in a hammock this year. I was soaking wet from sweat when I stumped into where I camped and set up in the dark. I pulled the quilt out, fluffed a few times and went to bed. I froze the whole night. The next day I held a flashlight up to the quilt many of the the baffles no down insulation in them. I got out of bed and fluffed and fluffed for several minuted and almost all the voids were filled with down. What a difference that night was!

I may try those issue insulated pants.

I bought a Marmot featherless synthetic down jacket on eBay that worked out really well this season. Insulated well and dried pretty fast when wet.

I bought a down jacket several years ago and have never used it...other than once. It was too hot for hiking and noisy for wearing as an outer. I'd much rather use a vest that I have the option of using as an outer under my long sleeve shirt or an inner layer inside my jacket.

A lot of the new gear seems to be lighter weight but the outer shell is mighty noisy when hunting in brush! I just bought a Sitka Fanatic vest that is the quietest material I could find (fleece). It also has more wind insulation than others I was looking at.

Last year I got Krypteks Aquillo down jacket. I loved it so much hunting I got a black typhon camo one to wear everyday. Very lightweight warm and packs into the pocket.
My brother just got on off of camofire for $150.

I have two "puffies".
1. Eddie Bauer First Ascent Down Sweater (light jacket)
2. Thermolite Micro insulated military jacket (meant to be mostly a mid layer)

The down jacket is only for camp or rest stops/lunch breaks and for adding warmth to my 20 F. Western Mountaineering down bag.

The synthetic jacket is for very cold days under a GTX camo hunting parka (shell) while I'm moving. Getting to a stand means I add a 300 weight Polartec fleece jacket under the Thermolite jacket.

Eric B.

columbia hooded jacket for sure. 60 bucks and it's warmer than I need. the puffer layer color doesn't' matter, it's the outer garment.

Ive enjoyed my Kuiu super down this past season, but Im going to try the new Stone Glacier down jacket this year. looks like it saves a couple ounces.

Love my Kifaru Lost parka!! Used it in mid November elk hunt with snow on the ground and good winds. Plenty warm and durable. I also have a Kuiu super down and like it but the Kifaru is heavier and warmer!!

Is that compared to the superdown ultra or pro?

I've got a Arcteryx Atom AR...pretty durable and super warm. Considering the LPP as well and saving my nice Arcteryx from being beat up hunting. It its warmer than the Superdown Pro, that is very impressive.

Is that compared to the superdown ultra or pro?

I've got a Arcteryx Atom AR...pretty durable and super warm. Considering the LPP as well and saving my nice Arcteryx from being beat up hunting. It its warmer than the Superdown Pro, that is very impressive.

+1 on the Arcteryx. I have the old pullover version-great for skinny guys not so much for me. For its weight it is surprisingly warm.

For a "screw it I ain't gonna be cold" puffy, watch eBay for a FL Chamberlain. I got my Fusion one for $200 NWT, I saw a Cipher one go for $205 this week. Amazingly warm.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.