What outer layer for cold weather elk hunt

valleysnyper

Guys, going on a end of October elk hunt in Colorado. We have never done this before. We will be packing in about 4 miles from end of logging road. There is lots of posts from the past and I'm sure there is newer technology. So here's the question, what should we use for an outer layer, we were thinking about sika heavyweight pants and jacket. Temp can range from 10 to 70 degrees. We know about layering with merino wool and such.
If any body has any suggestions please feel free to give them, this is getting confusing. ...Gary

Don't wear Gore-Tex or similar if you're walking. You have to remember that rainproof/windproof layers are really just fancy plastic, and you WILL sweat and get overheated if you are walking far at. Keep a layer like that if you stop and glass or sit, but it's not for moving around much.

Don't get an insulated shell. once you start walking you're going to heat up fast. I like a Goretex shell as long as it has zippers to open up for ventilation. This year I used the Llbean big game pro jacket with a removable liner and I love it. I wouldn't get the pants though (no ventilation) I wore wool for my bottom layer but we were in snow not rain.

Have been considering the Sitka Downpour pant as it has zippers down the entire length of the sides however they're made for stand hunting and I'm not sure how comfortable they would be walking or how well they'll hold up

Maybe we'll both get lucky and someone who has a pair will weigh in

I use kuiu Yukon jacket and pants, both have venting. Depending on weather and how I plan on hunting, I wear 1-2 kuiu or first lite layers top and 1 bottom. I use a down jacket under my rain jacket when I sit. I use Parma loft pant under my rain pants(want down pants). I'm usually head in a few miles (weight matters) for 4-6 days. Weather never above 45 degrees rain or snow always for half the trip and teens or colder in the morning. I have never been wet in this set up even when I'm always sitting or kneeling on snow or wet ground. When hauling meat or hiking I use the venting and I don't get wet from sweat. The only draw back is the noise it's not bad but noticeable. It has not cost me any chances but I rifle hunt. If I still bowhunted I would add a quieter layer and pack lighter rain gear.

I would go with a softshell hooded jacket and pants with a mid-weight next-to-skin layer for the hike in and out. Softshell is fairly quiet and fairly weather proof. Make sure the top and bottoms vent. I would also pack an insulated jacket and pants for when you stop and it's cold. In addition, I would pack a lightweight Gore-tex outer layer for wind and water protection. This layer should also be vented. I use a combination of Kuiu and Mountain Hardwear for the layers I have described.

Kuiu: Guide jacket, Attack pants, Kenai jacket, Chugach jacket, Chugach pants.

Mtn Hardwear: Compressor pants.

Sitka Hudson jacket as an outer layer. Carhart pants over long john of your choice and Herters rain gear bottoms when needed.

I don't usually wear a jacket during warmer temps but when they start to dip down I like my Kuiu Guide Jacket. Im also very fond or their Rain gear when needed. When the temps really drop down below 25f, I add my Kifaru Lost Park Parka. If you get cold in this you really need to get checked, its like wearing a sleeping bag. Perfect for stationary watches or long periods of glassing.

Id go with either the Kifaru puffy or the First Lite Uncompahgre puffy. They both breath well and are very water resistant and very warm. You don't need much for your legs just some wool underpants and a good set of pants like kuiu attack, first lite corrugate guide. The temps in the mtn's seem low but everything you do uses tons of energy and that makes heat. I was in Colorado late October and only used my puffy one afternoon. Its a deferent cold . We had lows in the mornings of 19 degrees and I would equate that to around 35 here in humid east Texas. Hope some of this helps.

Guys, going on a end of October elk hunt in Colorado. We have never done this before. We will be packing in about 4 miles from end of logging road. There is lots of posts from the past and I'm sure there is newer technology. So here's the question, what should we use for an outer layer, we were thinking about sika heavyweight pants and jacket. Temp can range from 10 to 70 degrees. We know about layering with merino wool and such.
If any body has any suggestions please feel free to give them, this is getting confusing. ...Gary
Cotton is the worst thing you can put on your body. There are a ton of cheap polyester clothes you can purchase. Thin long underwear is wonderful. Even if it's hot it is not too hot. Rain is common along with snow that time of year it can go from hot to cold very quickly. All the new clothing is wonderful. I think everyone is right on with Kuiu and Sitka. I only have experience with Sitka but it's not my favorite. I like wools socks, there is no other. Fleece as an outer layer dries instantly but makes you feel cold if there is no wind barrier. An outer layer that is wind and waterproof is a must. However you most likely won't wear it when the weather is nice. Plan on dressing warm in the morning and evening and packing the rest around during the day. A poncho liner is perfect for a windblocker when you are loitering and it makes a great ground cloth for quartering your meat. A face mask is lightweight and easy to pack and will make morning sits in the wind bearable. Cotton kills!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.