Best Progressive Reloader

Mortgage Man

I have been doing alot of research on the different progressive reloaders out there and I was wondering what you guys thought was your favorite? I did a search on here but didn't turn up much in results on this particular subject. I am leaning towards a Dillon because I have read alot of good things about them. I have also heard good things about the Hornady too though. What have you guys found to be the pros and cons of each? Thanks in advance for your help. I am going to do a poll for those that may want to vote and because they are fun sometimes.

David Tubbs loads on a Dillion and that's a big endorsment in my opion.....
thumb.gif

Thats what I seem to be hearing about the Dillon. But one question that I should have asked is how accurate are the progressive reloaders. Can you get them to be as accurate as the single presses?

[ QUOTE ]
Thats what I seem to be hearing about the Dillon. But one question that I should have asked is how accurate are the progressive reloaders. Can you get them to be as accurate as the single presses?

[/ QUOTE ]

David Tubbs loads on a Dillion and that's a big endorsment in my opion.....
thumb.gif
Possiable the greatest Highpower rifle shooter of all times, so I would say they can load pretty accurate ammo............
thumb.gif

Have only used the Dillon for 204,223,22-250 and 243 but it does a better job of seating and run out than my old Lyman turret press.
As with most powder measurer's it works better with ball or short cut powders and a full case(easy to make sure the powder is visually right when you set the bullet on top)
The Dillon sure has speeded up reloading the prairie dog rounds!!

Another vote for Dillon! I'm very happy with mine and have loaded very accurate loads on it.

I only have experience with the square deal b and the Sl900 loader but all work excellent. The 12 gauge SL900 got shook up in shipping and I call the tech line about figuring out what the problem was and he figured it out over the phone 2 days later parts came in the mail -I installed them and away we went ,it has worked great ever sense. Never cost a dime.
Sorry I cant help you on the rifle loaders I just prefer the single stage for that.

Rh

I owned a Dillon XL650 for aout two years. Complete with all kind of accesories.

Well, to make short a long story, I sold it and turned to a fantastic semi-progressive, a Ponsness Warren Metallic II.

And never had again the need to look back.

Hornady here and it´s not very easy.

It is quite difficult to set up initially and I don´t bother to change calibers very often, especially changing the primer size is quite a show. But accuracy is good and once you get it working it´s working just fine.

I use it for 30-06 and 308 (and 45 ACP), my real accuracy rifle loads are always single stage because I keep tweaking things quite a lot and I just like to see it all. I use several presses.

My next proggressive one will be a Dillon - if I ever need one.

I have had a hornady for about 7 years. Never have been able to get the priming system to function properly and finally gave up. Actually sent an e-mail to Hornady earlier this week asking if they have improved the priming system. A friend uses a dillion and other then switching to another cartridge has nothing but praise for it. Buy the Dillion

I got a response from Hornady on the priming system. They sent some new parts that replaced the plastic parts with new metal ones. I started with just 10 primers and it never missed until the last one. Put 20 in the tube and all but the last one worked perfect. Put 100 in while loading 357mag and all but the last worked perfectly. I sent another message to Hornady and they sent a small fiberglass follower. I have not tried since I got the follower the other day. When the priming system functions properly I have no compliants with this press and set up is easy.

Last edited:
Dillon!
I have modded the poxy 'safety cam' on the powder dropper (read: remove!) and it drops within +/- 0.2gr
I load my 308 match ammo onit.. 600rds/hr.. shoots 0.3" @ 100yds - more than good enough for me!

The customer supprt for Dillon HAS to be the best in the world.
Break somethign because you cocked up.. they send you another.. lose something.. they send you another..

I've had a Dillon 1050 for almost 20 years. Still works as good as new. Wonderful machine, I can't say enough good about it. Only real complaint is that it's a bother to change the priming system from large primers to small. I have made ammo that shoots in the 3's out of my 40X's for a long time. If I ever get another progressive it'll be the updated 1050 that loads up to 30-06 size cartridges.

A few years ago I decided I wanted to ge a progressive, mainly to do bulk .223 and maybe some pistol ammo on. I was really close to getting a LnL AP due to the solid frame, LnL bushings, etc. but ended up going with a Dillon 550 as several people I know and shoot with have them, so I figured I'd have more of a 'support network' close to home if things ever went awry.

The Dillon does work... but I have to admit, I'm not crazy about the whole 'craps where it eats' nature of the priming setup. And I've had way more problems with getting the primer slide to work right than I think I should have. Dillon didn't seem to have much of an answer other than 'send it in'... so in their defense, it may have been solved sooner, but it seems like an awful minor thing to have to ship the whole stinkin' press back over (long after the original boxes had gone the way of the recycler). It's finally working properly, and with the help of some add-ons from Whidden Gunworks and UniqueTek, it's turning out some dandy ammo for my 6x47L. As I get more modified tool heads, I plan on expanding its use to my match .223 for my space gun and my wife's F/TR rig, etc.

Late last year I found a pretty good deal on a lightly used LnL AP w/ shell plate and dies all set up for .223 Rem, just no case feeder. Got it, got it working, and have been going to town with it. A few hiccups occurred w/ getting the timing just right between the case feeder and the shell plate, but after that it seems to be churning out good ammo at a decent rate. I definitely like the powder measure better than the Dillon APM, but that case retaining 'spring' sure looks like a weak point... I've got a couple extra on order!

YMMV,

Mont

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.