Best powder for both .223 and .308?

DennisH8706

In an effort to keep things simple and cheap I'm going to try to find a powder that will work in my AR, .223 Savage and my newest .308 F-class build. I've been using Hodgons Benchmark in both my .223's with great success. I developed a load that will shoot excellent in both rifles out to 600 yards. Now with the addition of the .308 I will need a new powder because benchmark, to my knowledge, isn't suitable for 155gr - 175gr bullets in the .308. What ever powder I buy I'm going to buy it in an 8 pound canister so that the lot is the same and it's such a pain in the butt to find a powder source around here.

So the question is what is the best powder for both the .223's and .308, will handle heavier bullets in .308, and will get me the velocity needed to push the large pills out to 1000 yards?

From what research I've done, BL-C(2) and Varget will work but I'm not sure about BL-C(2)'s ability to get the velocity I need in the .308. I like the idea of using BL-C(2) because it's a ball powder and it meters extremely well. My RCBS powder measure doesn't like Varget at all. It catches and makes reloading difficult plus it is temp sensitive from my experiences with it.

Let me know what you guys think

Thanks in advance,

Dennis

Consider CFE223 from Hodgdon or AR COMP from Alliant. I am currently using AR Comp in my 308 with 155 Palma Sierra and it's good stuff.

Consider CFE223 from Hodgdon or AR COMP from Alliant. I am currently using AR Comp in my 308 with 155 Palma Sierra and it's good stuff.

I'll check it out. I'll have to get a updated reloading manual or look the charge weights up online. I read a little about CFE223 but from the sounds of it, it won't work in my .308 so well.

I just checked Hodgdon's data for the .308 with 155 and 175gr bullets and CFE223 shows the highest velocity in both bullet weights...... not that I necessarily believe that because it could be hype but I have used CFE223 with the .223 and it performed as advertised. I used it before there was any data and I used BLC-2 data as they are similar in burn rates. FWIW.

If I had to pick one it would be either Bl-c2 or Win748. Ball C was made for 5.56/.223 and if Win748 works you have your answer.

the right answer is varget

but i assume the OP figured that out 10 years ago
My RCBS powder measure doesn't like Varget at all. It catches and makes reloading difficult plus it is temp sensitive from my experiences with it.
and you would be wrong as the op stated in the above statement of his original post varget did not work well in his powder measure and it was temp sensitive
the correct answer today would be staball 6/5 HV 100 or hogdon super performance

My RCBS powder measure doesn't like Varget at all. It catches and makes reloading difficult plus it is temp sensitive from my experiences with it.
and you would be wrong as the op stated in the above statement of his original post varget did not work well in his powder measure and it was temp sensitive
the correct answer today would be staball 6/5 HV 100 or hogdon super performance
so you recommend 3 super temp sensitive crap powders cause they meter well from a ****** powder throw?

if you think varget is temp sensitive in 2022 (or even 2012) then nothing can help your reloading practices and poor powder choices

There is at least one guy on the Palma team using Benchmark with 155's.

I have had very good results with Varget, N140 and N150 in both 223 (w/85.5 & 90) and 308 (w/ 155-200s) in bolt rifles. N140 meters the best. Surprisingly, to me anyway, N150 was the poorest performer of the three with the 200's.

Currently I am using mostly N150 wit the 85.5s and various 155's

I have been using RL15 for years and have had great results! From the 223, 6.5 Grendel and the 6.5 Creedmoor, 1/2 min. groups!

H-4895 for both!
4895 works great in my RCBS measure. Have had great results in both .223 and .308. Another powder you could look at would be Alliant MR2000. I have had fantastic results with it in my .308 looks promising in .223. I have not tried it in my .223 because I have a load that will group under .3 all day with components that I have a lot of.