Best powder for 338 Lapua AI

B23

Is H-1000 the best choice for a 338 lapua Ackley Improved shooting 300SMK?

Have had good results with H1000 in other rifles.

I am testing Retumbo and US869 as well as H1000. I will let you know how it works out.

In my 338 AX which is another version of the 338 Lapua Improved, I have found that for my standard throat design, Retumbo offers the best consistancy to top velocity ratio.

As mentioned Rl-25 also works very well as does Ramshot Magnum.

I feel H-1000 is a bit fast burning for this class with at 300 gr SMK anyway. That said, it works very well, you just have to pay attention because you can get into more serious pressure problems if you keep running the powder charge up with H-1000.

This is not as much of a problem with the slower powders.

I do not feel anything slower then Retumbo offers any advantage in this chambering or similiar chamberings from my testing. You can get some really tight ES numbers but powder fouling generally gets much worse and you will not be getting the velocity the round is capable of. Not that that is a nessesity but if your happy with 338 Lapua velocity it would be much easier to just shoot a 338 Lapua then the improved version.

Just my opinion.

I like the Hodgdon Extreme powders for their ability to not be temp sensative. Is Retumbo going to be the best choice? I ask only because powder, as well as other things, is getting so hard to come by. I would look into getting a stock pile now.

Fiftydriver could you tell me the differences between the 338 Lapua AI, 338AX and 338Allen. I'm sure you have already done this a million times but I can't seem to find it. Thanks

Just tested some loads for my 338 lapua improved today, with H1000, Retumbo, and US869.

The winner is......RETUMBO!!!

Retumbo worked great with the 265HAT's as well as the 300SMK's.

Very stable velocities as well as very good groups.

Even fireforming brass with the 300smk's I shot sub 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.