.338 Lapua AI

Indy245

I'm looking for reloading and fire forming data for .338 lapua ackley improved.

I plan to shoot 300 gr. MK. It has a 29" barrel, 5R 1 in 9.4 twist.

Thanks

I started out with 96 grains of Retumbo and Fed 215 Mag primers for fireforming. 300 gn smk's .02 off the lands.

Your rifle may be different than mine. I would suggest starting a couple grains lower and work up from there. Watch for pressure signs as you go.

My fireformed loads are running 100 grains Retumbo at 2955 fps. I can load hotter but I backed off a couple grains when I saw pressure signs. 100 grains was also my sweet spot with this rifle.

I use Redding competition dies and like them better than my custom made Neil Jones dies. I think Hornady make dies for the 338 LAI as well.

I started out with 96 grains of Retumbo and Fed 215 Mag primers for fireforming. 300 gn smk's .02 off the lands.

Your rifle may be different than mine. I would suggest starting a couple grains lower and work up from there. Watch for pressure signs as you go.

My fireformed loads are running 100 grains Retumbo at 2955 fps. I can load hotter but I backed off a couple grains when I saw pressure signs. 100 grains was also my sweet spot with this rifle.

I use Redding competition dies and like them better than my custom made Neil Jones dies. I think Hornady make dies for the 338 LAI as well.

# 1 My 338 ax Retumbo 100 gr. 1/2 moa out to 1,400 yds.

I'm looking for reloading and fire forming data for .338 lapua ackley improved.

I plan to shoot 300 gr. MK. It has a 29" barrel, 5R 1 in 9.4 twist.

Thanks

Shoot the 300 Berger and Retumbo. I'm at 101g Retumbo and 2976fps in a 29" Rock 5R 10 twist. Sweetspot in usually in the 2950 to 2976 fps MV range for most.

Edit: should mention I'm shooting F215M primers and Kirby has found that they are generally not as hot as the standard primer and typically take a grain or so (in this chambering) more powder than the standard F215 primers to attain the same velocities. That may be why most folks are running a 99 or 100g load at similar velocities to mine. I've got 3K F215M primers, so that's what I'm going to use. :)

Last edited:
Ok this is a digression but similar. My 338LM shoots great with accubond 225s. I'm trying to shoot a Barnes Ttsx or LRx or mRx and I have had zero luck with H-1000. Loaded some retumbo but have not shot it yet. Also have used CCI primers. Gonna change that to fed 225 match.
Ohhh. BTW Ttsx are 265. MRX 185 LRx 225 gr.

Anybody have any ideas?? Not sure how far off I am. Made the coal the same as the accubonds that came with the gun. My hornady mod cases are on back order.

Don't want to go to bergers but I will of necessary.
Also don't really want 300 gr but once again, accuracy is more important.
Thanks

Mario

Marioq, Why not the Berger 300 otm, with the best BC you can get. It is a hammer at long range. The 338 la was designed for 250 gr. but most customs set up for larger pill.My Norma was designed w / shoulder set back just for the 300. Which I am very happy with, my buddy shoots 300 otm in his 338 LAI, WITH GOOD accuracy. He has taken game to 15oo yrds. and shoots to 2000.

Honestly, I have never looked at the 300's. My fear is that the 300 are set back in the case too far... That being said, the 265 gr TTSX are some LONG *** bullets......they sit far down too... ALso, I fear the performance of the Bergers and how they fall apart, at least that is what I read.... Never seen the bullet for myself. I like the idea of a solid bullet. My 300 mag shoots the barnes bullets at .5 MOA at 100 yards and at 500 drop an elk fast. I was kind of hoping I could get the same performance and better accuracy with reloading a 338. I think it might be a futile attempt but, if that is so, I will save ya'll some time to try this same thing....

I am going to see how this comes as I am new to reloading and I am learning as I go... I am just trying to figure this out and learn more as I go. Thanks for all the input and I am trying to get it.

Mario

Honestly, I have never looked at the 300's. My fear is that the 300 are set back in the case too far... That being said, the 265 gr TTSX are some LONG *** bullets......they sit far down too... ALso, I fear the performance of the Bergers and how they fall apart, at least that is what I read.... Never seen the bullet for myself. I like the idea of a solid bullet. My 300 mag shoots the barnes bullets at .5 MOA at 100 yards and at 500 drop an elk fast. I was kind of hoping I could get the same performance and better accuracy with reloading a 338. I think it might be a futile attempt but, if that is so, I will save ya'll some time to try this same thing....

I am going to see how this comes as I am new to reloading and I am learning as I go... I am just trying to figure this out and learn more as I go. Thanks for all the input and I am trying to get it.

Mario

Look closely at the 300 Berger and 300 SMK. They are the goto bullets for long range shooters here on this site comprising the majority of what serious long range .338 shooters here pick. I've killed multiple big game critters with each at ranges from 360 yds to 741 yds. One hit each. Many other similar stories here closer and much longer. Very few worries with these big bullets. These bullets have the best bc and this is one reason they are often the goto bullets for long range shooters. If you are considering long range shooting, there is a different mindset and often different bullets used than most folks due to that mind set. The 300s work and have a long and distinguished track record on target and game. Little to fear with them and much to gain.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts