Best optic for a light weight 338 Norma

codyadams

Looking for ideas for an optic on a light(ish) .338 norma build. It's on a stiller tac 338 action, manners EH-1A stock, Carbon Six magnum barrel. Rifle bare wieght will be right at 9 lbs, give or take a few .oz's. Would like to keep the weight down as much as possible, and try to keep it under $1500 or so for the scope.

So far I'm looking at the Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 because it's kind of light and decent priced for what you get, or the leupold mark 4 LRT 6.5-20, mainly based on weight. But, there is alot being sacrificed, originally we wanted a Vortex Razor gen 1 5-20, massive adjustment range and great glass, but at 35+ oz, it's a pig!! This is mainly a hunting rifle, but we want to stretch it out to a mile and more at times just for fun, and was just wondering if I'm missing some other option with a good adjustment range, under say.....28 oz and less than $1500 or so.

If I'm asking too much, that is fine, we will either bite the bullet on wieght and get the razor, making the rifle about 12 lbs with scope rings and bipod, or compromise some long range dialing ability and get one of the others and have it around 11.25-11.5 lbs. ready to hunt.

Thanks for reading!!!

Leupold vx6HD 3-18x50 with the cds-ZL2. I've seen on sale for under $1400. Only weighs 20.4 oz.

Don't know if 18 power is enough but it's **** good glass and very lightweight.

I have a vx3 lrp, i can't tell the difference in glass between mark 4 and it. It's lighter, around 23oz I think, and has some good reticle options. It's my favourite scope.

Another option, mainly because I was out shooting it at 1/2 a mile this morning is a sightron. An s3 6-24x weighs 24oz and has a 100moa if travel. They don't have every bell and whistle but sure are good scopes for the money

Take a look at the Zeiss Conquest V6. I have to respond to a few other threads about it but just got on to look at. Around 22 oz and glass is great. Has 102 MOA of elevation travel as well.

EuroOptic has them 13% off. Bought mine shipped for 1569. They have a lot of optics including Leupold at 13% off right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.