Best non-custom rifle setup for long range high country big game hunts?

If you are going to shoot 500 or less I suggest a win 70 extreme weather in WSM in any caliber. 500+ just get a sendero in an ultramag and do some mods. Trigger, pad, brake etc.

Are you wanting this set up for 800 yards or less? Or are you wanting it for 800 yards and further? The lighter the gun gets the harder it is going to be to shoot at 1000 and beyond. One of your posts said >800 so I just wanted to confirm.

My apologies on the mix up. I frequently use the incorrect symbol for greater than/less than (math dyslexia?). Anyways, I'm unable to go back and edit my original post where I mistakenly said that, so I guess I'll just have to clear it up here. I won't be shooting game any further out than 800 yards. I just don't have the skills to do something like that and feel like a responsible hunter who's honoring the animal. I will most likely attempt long range target shooting at distances out to and beyond 1,000 yards at some point but just don't have the ability to safely make those shots at this point. Maybe that will call for a different rifle build entirely; at the very least a different scope. ;)

The m70 EWSS is looking like my favorite option at this point based on value for my dollar spent. I've always thought the m70 was a pretty, very sexy rifle and think the contour/weight/caliber is perfect for a mountain gun; especially after I get a brake installed. I will have to look into the stock construction and see which B&C stock they use for this rifle.

Taken from Winchester's site:
"Bell & Carlson makes a uniquely high quality product -- that is the reason Winchester Repeating Arms has teamed with them over the years to produce our finest specialty rifles. With features like a proprietary molding system that maximizes strength and one of the industry's most acclaimed aluminum bedding block designs (for a total lock from action to stock), you get superb accuracy, ideal balance and strength only possible with non-traditional stock engineering."

Any thoughts on the Vortex, Leupold, Weaver I'm checking out? Is there a lot of advantage going with mil/mil vs. moa/moa?

It sounds like the Tikka is an excellent buy but I don't receive any sort of deal on them, and so unfortunately won't be looking their direction when purchasing my new rifle =(

I have a Mod70 EW is 270 wsm. It shoots sub MOA all day long with hand loads. No need for a brake on those. If you don't have to put one on don't. The only thing that sucks on that rifle is the heavy trigger. It's an easy fix though. You can buy a $10.00 spring from Ernie the gunsmith and adjust them down to a little over two pounds. They are actually awesome when they are adjusted down. No creep or over travel at all. I took a nice Bull Elk at 532 yards this year with mine. Thats about maximum range for that gun though.

Well, if I were you, I would go to a gun store that has the M70, a tikka and a Remington of your choice. Work the actions of each, get the feel of them and see which one feels best to you. I gurrantee you that the tikka action will be the smoothest action of the three. I got my hands on a tikka t3 in 300 WSM and besides a custom action, it was the smoothest action that I have ever worked. They shoot well also. So go to the gun shop and get a feel for them.

If you are wanting to take game out to 800 yards then I would go with either a 300 win mag or a 300 WSM in the rifle you choose.

I am having a hard time believing that even with a "deal" you will pick up a Win mod. 70 for less than 500 bucks. Price on a Tikka T3 is 499 with the black stock. I even see them advertised at GM , BPS, and Cab for less if you catch them at the right time. As the gentlemen said, it is the smoothest action you will find on a factory gun and it will shoot sub MOA with hand loads and some factory. You wanted the best factory gun for the money , to do what you need it to do. For that alone you need to seriously look at the Tikka. Win makes great rifles, yes they do but so does Sako, and with the Tikka you get Sako barrel, action, trigger at a great price. BTW, Won is not made in the states anymore, except for their super high end.
Jmho Craig

sometimes you have to look past the cosmetics and get something that performs. You will have no regrets with a Tikka as far as shooting. They are tack drivers for as light of rifle they are.

How about some information on the Browning X-Bolt?
Thoughts?
Looking into these as well =)

Saw a Browning X-Bolt White Gold and am smitten by how its looks! Can't wait to hear what y'all have to say about these. Supposedly they're excellent rifles, shoot well and are light-weight.

How about some information on the Browning X-Bolt?
Thoughts?
Looking into these as well =)

Saw a Browning X-Bolt White Gold and am smitten by how its looks! Can't wait to hear what y'all have to say about these. Supposedly they're excellent rifles, shoot well and are light-weight.

Wilkup- i have shot in competition out to 1000 yards. i have never shot against a browning . Ever. I would like to. grin. i need more magnigfication than you do. a 1" 4.5-14 or 6.5-20. also shooting a light weight rifle at 500 yards and over, difficult. the pound on a sendero is worth it for me. i have a remington ti 5.9 lbs.. that is not what i took bighorn hunting.

Assuming you have already selected your caliber (and 7MM is a great choice) then when making a rifle purchase there are a few things to consider:

1. Does the rifle out of the box "Feel right" for you.
2. Is it the proper weight, barrel length, stock configuration, trigger etc. for your application
3. Are you going to be making changes to the rifle in the future? If so, is there a lot of "After Market" gear for your rifle to be customized with?
4. If all of the function matches up to your needs then "Looks". Everybody loves a Beautiful rifle but it has to work well FIRST then be Beautiful.

All that being said, Remington 700 is a rifle you can NEVER go wrong with. Any issue you have with the rifle out of the box is easily corrected with after market components and they are extremely "Upgradable".

If you want to buy a rifle that you will take out of the box, shoot with manufacturer ammo and achieve near or SUB moa performance, but you will not look to customize much in the future then I would recommend the Weatherby Vanguard. The Tikka that keeps getting mentions I like as well, but have not owned one to recommend it.

Ditto the above post. I do have a Tikka, abolt, xbolt, and vanguard. I am able to get all below 1". In order of accuracy I've accomplished-Tikka vanguard abolt then xbolt. As far as my opinion on feel/comfort-xbolt abolt Tikka/vanguard. As far as I'm concerned if you want a shooter go with the Tikka. If you want feel/comfort go with the xbolt: which I get about .75" groups.

I think for now, I've decided to go the classic route. I will be building a separate rifle to be my tack driver, but for now I'm being called by the stainless, walnut siren. I just placed my order for a new Browning X-Bolt White Gold in 270WSM. I just couldn't help myself after seeing and handling this rifle!
The jury is still out on the optics, but this will be my "shorter range" mountain rig for late summer high country bucks and possibly elk later in the year depending on weather. Life's not long enough to only have "ugly" hunting rifles. ;)
I'm still trying to decide which optic to go with but think Leupold is my favorite company and I'm trying to finalize a decision between the VXR 4-12x40 or VX-6 2-12x42 with the CDS options, which I will be ordering after working up my/the rifle's favorite load.
Thanks for all your help and I'm sorry to disappoint and stray off the trail I started. Even though I'm going "traditional", I still learned a lot and will be able to use this information on the next rifle I build or purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.