Best Long Range Custom Hunting Gun Maker

Hey im new to this forum and it seems like this is the place to be for advise on getting into long range hunting and its equipment. Im newer to the game but have done some dabbling in it, a lil prairie dog action at 3-400 yards with my off the shelf 223 remington sps varmint with factory hornady ammo is all the long range stuff ive done on a consistant bases. Being from mn theres no long range big game action 200 yards at most. Well now that im living and workin in nd i wanna get myself a nice 30 cal big game gun, was thinkin 300 rum or 300 wby to be capable to get me another elk at some point and maybe a bear as well. I was looking for advise on a good custom rifle that i could comfortably carry around all day in the western mountians and be able to sit down at the range on the off season and do some plinking/target practice. Any adivise on a recommended gun maker/builder ect would be great. Money is not a real issue but under the 5k mark is best. Thanks Guys:D

I promise you, there is no such title as "Best LR Rifle Maker", simply doesn't exist. There are companies that provide specific skill sets, some excel in different areas, some are more rounded, some are small & some are quite large in operation.

Your goal, with the funds you've quoted should be easily accomplished (with a bit of a wait of course). As you see, every person who replies is going to give a different answer. The answers you find are usually going to be based on personal preference, personal relationships and/or proximity to the 'smith's location.

Is any one better than the others? Probably not, in the end they all provide what the customer asked for or they would be omitted from this conversation due to bankruptcy :cool:

As long as you stick with the top tier, I would suggest calling & discussing your needs with several if not all of the names mentioned (and some that weren't). Your "gut" will most likely lead you in the correct direction based on your conversation & the interaction therein.

We have some truly great industry reps out there, most have been stated already-

In No Particular Order:

GunWerks- A little more commercial but not a bad choice by any means.
R-Bros- Has interacted on more than one discussion here, rifles look good.
MCR (Kevin Cram)- Is still here active as well, this guy is a hunter.
Robert Gradous- Receives praise everywhere I look. High recommendations.
RW Hart- Don't know much about Hart.
Bruce Baer- Think Magnumitis :D
Tactical Operations (Tac Ops)- Super build quality & VERY accurate rifles- long wait time, an attention to detail i've personally never seen duplicated.
LongRifles Inc (LRI)- This is who I use, cool cat, very intelligent. Back Log growing rapidly... dern it. CNC knowledge & equipment that baffles the mind... best bedding jobs in the industry (IMHO)
GAP (GA Precision)- Industry peer, large operation, consistently accurate rifles, very large following.

The list goes on & on & on & on & on.... I'm stopping here :D

t

Nate Dagley of Straight Shot Gunsmithing, he can be a little hard to get ahold of sometimes but does great work.

I was trying to remember the name of Nate's company after seeing that 30/375 so I could add it to my list.

t

Gotcha, another smith that comes to mind is Steve Pratt at Elk Meadow Performance (i believe is the name) he is a site sponsor under sj-pratt.

Gotcha, another smith that comes to mind is Steve Pratt at Elk Meadow Performance (i believe is the name) he is a site sponsor under sj-pratt.

I've heard the name but I know nothing of the guy or his work. Is that the guy who makes the titanium muzzle brakes?

Need to add:

JE Custom- (sorry Jerry, I forgot)
Deadly Precision Gunsmithing- Grit seems to be a good dude.

t

I've heard the name but I know nothing of the guy or his work. Is that the guy who makes the titanium muzzle brakes?

Need to add:

JE Custom- (sorry Jerry, I forgot)
Deadly Precision Gunsmithing- Grit seems to be a good dude.

t

Yes he makes the titanium muzzle brakes. Also Kirby Allen of Allen Precision. Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge, Dan Glover of Dans Custom Gun Service.

Really? Get real!

Len is having them built by someone, he is NOT doing the work, he is the contractor. That said, good systems from what I have heard.

The discussion was the gunsmiths building the guns, not the contractors. Who is building them?

Well son of a gun! I've looked at the Long Range Rifles page several times and never picked up on that. I guess I focused too much on the rifles. Thanks for correcting my post.

I'm not as concerned with who builds the rifle, as I am with reliable feedback, references and customer service.

I've done business with Len's family and know for a fact they treat their customers well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.