Best non-custom rifle setup for long range high country big game hunts?

I think you made a great choice. As I stated above, the xbolt was my favorite of the all the stock guns I own as far as feel. I am sure you wont be disappointed with the accuracy either (as long as you reload: haven't shot any factory ammo through it). Mine is also the 270wsm so I know you will be happy. My nod goes to the Nikon Monarch for a scope, or vortex viper for relatively inexpensive.

I think you made a great choice. As I stated above, the xbolt was my favorite of the all the stock guns I own as far as feel. I am sure you wont be disappointed with the accuracy either (as long as you reload: haven't shot any factory ammo through it). Mine is also the 270wsm so I know you will be happy. My nod goes to the Nikon Monarch for a scope, or vortex viper for relatively inexpensive.

Thanks! Just out of curiosity, did you need to do any work on your xbolt? Which model do you have? I keep reading Browning actions are made "trued" from the factory and shoot really well stock. Truth?

Thanks! Just out of curiosity, did you need to do any work on your xbolt? Which model do you have? I keep reading Browning actions are made "trued" from the factory and shoot really well stock. Truth?

Browning actions are fully machined to very tight tolerances. I won't say they're 100% trued up, but every Browning I've ever shot was a tack-driver. I've had 2 A-Bolt II 7RM's and both would stack them. The first one was accurate, but this second one will stack them in tight cloverleafs with handloads. For a 95% factory rifle, not too bad.

The Tikkas have a lot of plastic which really turns me off.

Bell and carlson makes a great aftermarket stock for them and you can just replace the bolt shroud with a metal one. Even after the upgrades you could still walk away spending $200 less for the tikka than the winchester and put that saved money towards some good optics.

if you go to Tikka shooters .com, the have a great array of stocks, bottom metal, what ever you need to make it your own. So, I agree with the gentleman above, what you spent on the rifle you got, you could have saved some money and put it towards optics. Yes, a nice mod 70 or a GOOD mod 700 would be nice, but I will take a Tikka any day. Have not seen or heard of a non MOA or Sub MOA T3. Just my opinion.

I would suggest you go to a cabelas and check out a Sako A7 big game ...best handling slickest factory gun I have picked up in a long time comes with the moa guarantee ...get one in 7mm mag put an 18 oz scope on it in steel rings and you have a 9 lb hunting rifle that will kill anything in N/A ..!

I would suggest you go to a cabelas and check out a Sako A7 big game ...best handling slickest factory gun I have picked up in a long time comes with the moa guarantee ...get one in 7mm mag put an 18 oz scope on it in steel rings and you have a 9 lb hunting rifle that will kill anything in N/A ..!

I second the Cabelas special made Sako. It is a hell of a deal right now for a 1000 I would get the long range hunter in either a 7mm or 300rm and not look back. It has Sako quality and a 26 inch barrel

Sorry took so long to reply to your question. No I have not had to touch my action. It does shoot .75" out of the box. I personally got my abolt to shoot .5" but all rifles, shooters, and loads are different. I think you will be happy as is. Enjoy it! Mine is the hunter model.

Nice to hear your selection, let us know how it performs for you. My son hunts with the 270 WSM, it will get everything done you need to 600+ yards. We send 130gr SST at 3300 fps, measured 12' from muzzle. Been excellent on whitetails, never exploded like some say, always leaves exit hole size of quarter or so. But off topic.

Your optic choices sound good, just preference. I would most likely go with Ziess 3-15 or the viper PST 4-16. Yours are real close, just brand difference.

I would hunt anything in North America with a 270 WSM, except bear that want to eat you, great package. But I already have a 7mm SAUM. My son shoots the WSM.

I have a model 70 Extreme Weather SS in 300 WSM. It shoots .65 inch groups with Federal Trophy Bonded Tip 165 grain. The scope is a Zeiss Conquest 3.5 X10X44. This rifle weighs 7.6 Ibs without the sling. Im very happy with the weight. The action is slick out of the box. Ive killed whitetails out to 215 yards with it.I have never shot longer than 250 yards as of yet. Also, I have 2 Supergrades from 2002, 25-06 and 270 win, both shoot under 1" with factory loads, both have Zeiss German 1" 3X9X42 on them. The Supergrades weigh 9.2 Lbs each.

Getting set for my next build now and will be using this thread as my springboard to jump in from.

I took everyones advice and checked out the Tikka and Vanguard. After serious research and several trips to the shops to play with them side-by-side I'm pretty set on a Vanguard S2 stainless.

Should be getting started on it in the next week. I'll probably start another thread for the build but here's the details:

Weatherby stainless short action
Pac Nor #5 stainless fluted 22.5" .284 Winchester
Vias muzzle brake
Bell & Carlson stock
Cerakote all metal parts
Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x50

Don't over look a savage weather warrior (accu-trigger, pillar bedded, barrel floated, stainless) comes in at 6.9 to 7.1 pounds. Excellent calibers for your use are 6.5 X 284, 7 mag, also comes in a 300 wsm & 300 wm. The 6.5 X 284 and & 7 mag are by far more comfortable to shoot in a light weight gun. Hands down the Talley light weight 1 piece ring/base. Very solid for durability and accuracy. There are a bunch of good scopes out there, don't over look the Sightron Big Sky series. But my first concern is customer service, if you do have a issue it is usually a user caused problem in the back country (falling)(horses) etc. Leupold is probably unbeatable. Being in Oregon and usually a very short bench time make these scopes unbeatable. My personal experience with Leupold was a few years ago I had the cross hairs break in the scope, this was a little less than 2 weeks before our elk hunt. I called them and told them the the tight spot I was in. I was told to send it in immediately. They received it in 2 days, 3 days later I received a brand new scope (same model) in the mail from them. Inside was a note "Have a great Elk Hunt". you can't beat that ! gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.