best low recoil long range cartride in 7mm and plus

soundwaves

what is a good long range cartride in 7mm and over with low recoil.
lets say 7mm rem mag has too much recouil. 270 does not count as it is 6.8mm

You'd have to be awfully recoil sensitive or be shooting a very light rifle with heavy for caliber bullets for the 7mm Rem to be a problem. My first centerfire rifle was a 700bdl 7mm Rem and even at 13 I handled it just fine without a muzzle brake shooting 140gr ammo.

The .284 win and 280 Rem will both have lower recoil because of reduced powder capacity.

No the 270win does not count as it's not a 7mm cartridge.

Probably the lowest recoiling of the popular 7's is the 7mm-08 but again there's a cost in terms of velocity for the lower recoil.

I have killed literally truck loads of deer and hogs with the 7mm Rem and it's a very good caliber all the way around out to 600yds.

An outstanding 7mm cartridge for your purposes will be without any doubt the old working horse 7x57Mauser. lightbulb Well known and used in big numbers on both sides of the Atlantic, also in Africa. Very precise, almost no recoil, versatile and useable for many, many different kinds of (large) game. BTW, the 7x57Mauser is the parent case for most of the modern cartridges like 3006, 8x57IS and 6,5x55 just to name some of them. You won't go wrong with this one! gun)

An outstanding 7mm cartridge for your purposes will be without any doubt the old working horse 7x57Mauser. lightbulb Well known and used in big numbers on both sides of the Atlantic, also in Africa. Very precise, almost no recoil, versatile and useable for many, many different kinds of (large) game. BTW, the 7x57Mauser is the parent case for most of the modern cartridges like 3006, 8x57IS and 6,5x55 just to name some of them. You won't go wrong with this one! gun)

+1

7x57 or 7x57AI would be a sweet cartridge with good performance.

.284 or .280 would both fit the bill as well.

Dont overlook the .280 Sherman either. 7 WSM/7 RM ballistics in a '06 sized case.

+1

7x57 or 7x57AI would be a sweet cartridge with good performance.

.284 or .280 would both fit the bill as well.

Dont overlook the .280 Sherman either. 7 WSM/7 RM ballistics in a '06 sized case.

nice sugestion guys. l might consider this one for a new rifle. and as l dont live in USA it is a widely available cartridge. l will be mostly useing something like this for stalking and hunting up to maximum 400 yards. but because lm gonna shoot wild boar and ibex l still dont think the 7x57 drop em dead on the spot. lm concerned of this because the mountaines reagon l live at makes tracking animals a mountain climb. so l think l might concider the 30-06 as my non magnum gun. what do you think about this.

i personaly think a 30/06 without a brake isnt a pleasant gun to shoot.
a muzzel brake can reduce felt recoil with any of the larger cartridges including magnums. there is a price to pay for reaching out to touch something at long distances. how much you pay depends on how far you want to reach.

All the mentioned cartridges fit the bill. Being a big fan of Lapua brass, I would opt for the 284 Win and neck up the Lapua 6.5 - 284 brass. Another option is necking down Lapua 30.06 brass, basically a 280 Rem. Yet another interesting option to me is necking down The 300 RCM... Hornady brass if fairly good. And finally, I dont hink the 7 SAUM has been mentioned? Norma has started making that brass and should be descent stuff.

nice sugestion guys. l might consider this one for a new rifle. and as l dont live in USA it is a widely available cartridge. l will be mostly useing something like this for stalking and hunting up to maximum 400 yards. but because lm gonna shoot wild boar and ibex l still dont think the 7x57 drop em dead on the spot. lm concerned of this because the mountaines reagon l live at makes tracking animals a mountain climb. so l think l might concider the 30-06 as my non magnum gun. what do you think about this.

In Europe we use the 7x57 for both stag (red deer), fallow deer, wild boar and even moose without any problem. If you're going to use potent rounds with 160 - 177gr bullets and velocities between 760 - 849 m/s this round won't let you down. Or use monos like Barnes TTSX, no problem at all. Btw, here on the forum you will find some that hunted actively all kinds of game with it in South Africa. gun)

BTW, you mentioned Ibex. Are you living in Spain? If so, and you might think the 7x57 isn't enough cartridge for your purposes, then you should go for the great 7x64 Brenneke. Extremely popular in Europe and even faster in fab- ammo than the 280 Rem, by 30 - 40 m/s. Flat trajectory, little recoil, very precise and good terminal ballistics! gun)

With where you live cartridge availability is the limiting factor.

The 30-06 or even .308 win will meet those needs very well. As long as the rifle is accurate and you find a load that it likes 180gr pill out of either one will take both species very effectively at 400yds or less, and in fact a good bit further.

I recently built a 7x57ai and I have to say its becoming one of my favorites.

Low recoil without a brake, good velocity with a 24.5" barrel, Norma brass, easy load development, lots of room in a long action for long bullets, accurate with everything I've put through it.

I just started load development using the 150 Long Range Accubond and it's getting fun. 1/2 moa at 300 yards running nearly 3000 fps and I haven't found top end yet yet. Even if bc turns out to be 10% less than advertised, this round's longer range potential is nothing to sneeze at especially at altitude.
The 160 -168 grain bullets will also be a good choice.

I do love my STW and 300 with heavies, but this gun will go on my next antelope and deer hunt and may pull backup duty for elk (with bigger bullets).

I never would have planned a build around this cartridge but when I ran across a zero round count barreled action that the owner had lost interest in I had to jump on it. I'm glad I did.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts