best long range 7mm for 1200 yrds+?

supercrossbmx69

i am in the process of building a new 7mm for 1200+ yards (ive been debating what cartridge to go with for the last three months) and i am going to use the 180 burgers. i will be using a 26" broughton and i am looking to push the 180s at 3100. which cartridge would be best? i was going to do the 7 LRM (gunwerks cartridge) but i dont know anything about it. i am like everybody else that wants good barrel life, and accuracy. thanks for your time

the gunwerks cal is a 375 Ruger necked down to 7mm. For your purposes, I think it is a good choice, along with a 7 RUM.

Don't overlook the 7STW. It is easy to load for and you will get 3100 fps with 180's with a 26" barrel. My 24" barreled STW runs 3000 fps with 180 VLD's.

have you looked at the 7mm AM? Thats the .338 Lapua necked to 7mm and Improved. BuffalloBob has some pretty impressive kills on video with his. otherwise I would go to the STW... but then again I have only ever owned a 7mm Rem. Mag. and am in no way a 7mm expert.

7mm, 180grain VLD going 3100...
7RUM will get it done. You will get great accuracy and power, but your barrel life will suffer.

If I was in your shoes, which I was last year. I built the 7-338norma mag improved. There are some things you will want to consider when you start shooting out at 1mile and further(you will be there before you know it). Now I am no expert I am just passing on information I learned when myself and Nate planned and tested his 284 Jazz my new rifle. Top notch brass, and a standard magazine is what I was after. My Jazz is built off a Custom long action with 300win mag bottom metal.

Not much info is out yet since I am the only one with one and haven't had much time to test it out. With about 150rounds down the barrel we are using US869 at 97-98 grs. and getting 3200+fps with 180(bergers) and 189(Bob C.). ES of less than 10fps. This was nowhere near a max load. I was happy with the results and decided why push it harder.

Brent

We have shot this 7mm / 300 Win to 1200 and beyond with great results with the 180 Bergers. Velocity of 3100 should be easy. RWS brass is easy to get and of great quality.

If I ever want another 7MM, It WILL be a 7mm / 300 win.

Here is the link about it. Long thread but you might find it of interest. Also we are past 700 rounds and the rilfe still shoots bug holes.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/anyone-own-7mm-300-win-mag-51404/

Jeff gun)gun)

barrel life and super mags don't go in the same wording. Also speed is a function of barrel length.

We have shot this 7mm / 300 Win to 1200 and beyond with great results with the 180 Bergers. Velocity of 3100 should be easy. RWS brass is easy to get and of great quality.

Here is the link about it. Long thread but you might find it of interest. Also we are past 700 rounds and the rilfe still shoots bug holes.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/anyone-own-7mm-300-win-mag-51404/

Jeff gun)gun)

Jeff,

Thanks for the link on the 7-300 it was a good read. I am not sure but I think Kenny Jarrett's 284 Jarrett is a 7-300. I think that his has less body taper and an improved shoulder though, but very similar. I think you are right about the case capacity in the 300WM case being ideal for the heavy 7MM bullets. That is why I like the STW over the RUM. Unless someone is shooting 190 or 200 grain bullets the RUM velocity increase is minimal when compared to powder used to get that gain. What I am trying to say is the bigger cases shine with heavier bullets IMO.

I agree the 7mm 300win is a great cartridge, I have had one built and am getting results that I am very happy with. It meets your performance targets and will have much better barrel life than a RUM.

killed a deer at 1600-1625 with a 7stw. I admit it took me two walk in shots because I didnt have anything to range that far with but a 7stw with a 162gr. amax worked beautifully.

For the distances and bullet you are looking at, I would do a 7 STW, 7 RUM, or 284 JAZZ.
The Jazz and Rum will be about equal in performance, but the brass for the JAZZ is much better quality and is done in a standard magbox length of 3.60 with the 180 Bergers.
The Rum and STW will need a longer magbox, which can be done.
There are a few 284 JAZZ rifles out now, and ES are very low with this caliber, which will help at the distances you are looking at.
If you want the simplist solution, do an STW, use 8 mm Rem brass, RCBS dies, and Retumbo powder. Will do what you need it to, with alittle less powder than the other two.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.