Best Long Range Caliber

luke5678

I am looking at having a rifle built in the next year or so (need to start saving). I am a deer hunter (good size whitetails and mulies). Maybe an elk or two in my future.

I am thinking 7mm Rem. Mag or 300 WMS. I want to stick to somewhat basic loads and not get into really unique calibers. I want a gun that will shoot solid out to 600 with capabilites to 1000 if I ever wanted. Prefer a decent muzzel velocity with a good BC while maintaining good knockdown power without a ton of recoil..

Thanks for the input.

My personal preferance would be any 300mag with Quality 180gr or bigger bullet (EX; Nosler Accubond, Barnes TTSX, or Berger etc...) specific to the critter and range you intend to shoot. The higher the B.C. and S.D. the better the down range energy, trajectory, and L/R performance. The 210Berger, like Broz indicated, will be hard to beat for dedicated long range work, and will lay the smack down on critters at any range inbetween:D.
Recoil has never been much of an issue for me, but I dont "enjoy it" either. I shoot my 338 win mag un-braked, with only a limb saver, quite comfortably, but I am having a brake installed on my 300 wby just cause... Combine a Quality brake (ex; Kirby's Pain Killer-"PK", Shawn Carlocks Defensive Edge-"DE", & Vias come to mind) and a Quality recoil pad (Limbsaver, Pachmeyer...) and recoil becomes a thing of the past even with harsh loads and heavy bullets.
Well theres my 2 cents. Good luckgun)

How about a 7mm STW. A friend shoots one and it really gets out there and is very flat shooting.

joseph

How about a 7mm STW. A friend shoots one and it really gets out there and is very flat shooting.

joseph

I am very fond of a 7mm. In fact the 7mm / 300 win with 180 Bergers is my favorite of the 7's. But the OP mentioned 1000 yards and Elk. Now there is no doubt that a 180 gr bullet well placed at 1000 will do the job on an elk. But I feel a lot better with the 210 and the extra energy it has for this job.

Jeff

Another vote for the 300 WM. It's my favorite all around hunting cal using the 180 Accubonds. That's just me though. You mentioned the 7mm RM and 300 WSM and there is absolutely nothing wrong with those and many others, they'll work every bit as good. Read over some ballistic tables and look at different bullet types and weights until you find something you like and will match what you are looking for. Good luck.

I am very fond of a 7mm. In fact the 7mm / 300 win with 180 Bergers is my favorite of the 7's. But the OP mentioned 1000 yards and Elk. Now there is no doubt that a 180 gr bullet well placed at 1000 will do the job on an elk. But I feel a lot better with the 210 and the extra energy it has for this job.

Jeff

Highly agree.

If you're sticking to 600 or less then maybe a 7mm but if you're truly looking at 1000 yard elk capability I'd go with a 300 mag with 210s. Or, think a 338 caliber if you're making an elk-only rifle.

Just remember, then can be wounded poorly but they can't be "too" dead.

This from someone who hunts with a 7mm Wby, but doesn't try for 1000 yard capability. I just can't practice that here in Michigan.

Lots of 300 win guys out there....I LOVE the 300 WBY with the 210's....the RL 25 / 300 wby / 210 Berger combo has won me a pile of wood at 1000 BR, and killed a lot of deer for me also. I figure 100 - 150 fps over the win mag. I am not sure how much you will gain by going to the ultra mag....mayby another 100 fps.

I am not sure that there is a "best".....there are always trade offs.....recoil, bbl life, trajectory...ect.....

And I bet that for every 100 people you ask you will get at least 30 different answers!!!!

Some say the best is the fastest....some say biggest caliber....some say ease of reloading....some say flattest trajectory...some say......well, you get my point.

Some are 30 cal guys, I am not. The ballistics can be beat by either the 7mm or the .338 calibers and if you're shooting at 1k, you need all the help you can get, or at least I do.

I say .338 RUM or bigger in a lightweight hunting rifle with good optics and a good brake.

IMHO, the elk deserve nothing less.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.