Best known BC for 180 grain 30 cal hunting bullet

Ftothfadd

I am trying to find the most aerodynamic 30 cal 180 grain bullet for hunting. I want to shoot it from a 300 wby and take advantage of the case capacity. Or would you think a 200 grain bullet with a higher BC compensate for the disproportionate decrease in muzzle velocity? Please also share your loads and velocities for discussion sake.
thank you, Ferenc

I am trying to find the most aerodynamic 30 cal 180 grain bullet for hunting. I want to shoot it from a 300 wby and take advantage of the case capacity. Or would you think a 200 grain bullet with a higher BC compensate for the disproportionate decrease in muzzle velocity? Please also share your loads and velocities for discussion sake.
thank you, Ferenc

It seems that there is a lot of discussion here around the new(er) Bulldozer 2 bullets and there exceptionally high BC. I'd look there unless you are opposed to a mono-metal bullet.

Berger has plenty of VLD bullets that would probably fit the bill for a cup & core bullet.

This is one of easiest charts to use when starting a search for reloading data:

300-Wby-180gr-version-9-0.jpg

While you can find some disagreement with this data, it does provide a decent beginning point to your question.

I bought some of the Nosler .30 cal. 180 gr. AccuBond Blems from the Shooters Pro Shop just to try along with some of the 180 gr. E-Tips. The ABs did OK but the E-Tips were better. I use chamber reamers which are set up with different throats and free bore. The .300 Weatherby is designed using cup and core soft point bullets and these newer designs just don't fit right. So take some time to study your choices and see where and how they fit the chamber you want to use. If you get lost, make a guess at a dummy round then discuss it with a reamer maker. Your magazine box controls the COAL unless you're shooting a single shot.

I prefer the Badlands BD2 bullet for hunting but anything over the 150 gr. or 175 gr. will require a serious look at a new reamer and twist rate. Since I use the 195 gr. I reworked a reamer specifically for it. Don't believe the 1:10" twist unless you're hunting in the mountains and in warmer weather. It will be 'stable' but you will give up BC. Use the Berger calculator. Also ask the folks at Badlands about getting some advice, nice folks!

I know the US is the #1 fan club for Berger bullets but they are no longer a US company since they are owned and operated by NAMMO, a Norwegian/Finnish conglomerate. Their production has shifted to a global perspective and the US is not finding the support it once had when Berger was located in Arizona. They make fine bullets but finding them in stock when you need them is proving to be a challenge. There are other bullet makers.

Enjoy the process!

:)

Berger Elite Hunter 180 grain outclassed almost every other cup and core offering out there up to 200 grain bullets.

So? Can you document this claim or is it just your opinion?

I've had Elite Hunters shoot poorly in some rifles and actually pretty good in others.

;)

I wouldn't worry too much about picking highest bc and find a 180 that it likes in the profile you desire and get your data.
At the velocity the wby is going to throw them, it will be negligible within the velocity limits of the bullet to expand. If it were me, I'd probably pick the 178 eld and send it. It's pretty forgiving with seating depth/jump and the wby sure has some generous freebore.

Last edited:
So? Can you document this claim or is it just your opinion?

I've had Elite Hunters shoot poorly in some rifles and actually pretty good in others.

;)

He simply stated wanting to know highest bc bullet of that class. If you peruse the mainstream bullets you basically have to get to 195+ grain to match that specific bullet for bc.
I also have had problems with bergers and am not a big fan. I was simply stating what I have seen for published bc numbers.

Thank you everyone so far. To clarify, I am not planning to build a rifle so custom reamers are unfortunately out of question. The rifle I am looking for a load for is a Blaser R8 with 1:11 twist , 26" barrel. It shoots factory Hornady 200grain ELD-x to 3/4" at 100, which is all I can do... But it is rather anemic at 2900 fps. (At least on paper compared to the many people who shoot 215 Bergers north of 3000 fps from a 300 Win).