How to pick the best 30 cal hunting bullet???

Firearrow

I shoot a 300 Win Mag. Need some advice on which bullet to start of with for 500 yd deer elk. I almost have everything I need to start reloading, need the bullets, and a manuel.

I use 168 Barnes TTSX on my 300 WM, they are very accurate and carry enough energy to 500 to take an elk cleanly. I load mine using IMR 4831 @ 3150 fps. out of a 26" barrel. If you decide to use these PM me and I'll give you the load.

This load at 500 yards the bullet is still traveling @ 2356 fps. and carries 2071 lbs. energy, it will dump any elk with a properly placed shot.

I shot a mule deer @ 360 yards last year and the bullet performed flawlessly, great bullet.

Wow! Favorite .30 cal hunting bullet? Everyone has got to have one of these. I like most everyone's bullets but my favorite for both elk and deer is the Hornady 180SST. Shoots like a match bullet, high BC, wicked wound channel, and strong penetration. 7 elk an 6 deer with this bullet. I have every manufacturer's reloading manual and I like them all, but my favorite is Hornady's.

Probably the best BC in a quality hunting bullet would be the 200 accubond at .588. It would be hard to beat that one. The hornady SST is an excellent bullet that is much less expensive but a little less BC..

FireArrow, welcome to the land of handloading brother! The world has just taken a big turn for you! You may find you enjoy handloading as much as shooting. There is a little bit of a learning curve but once you find that load you're rifle likes you are going to have a big smile on your face and a feeling of total satisfaction. Jeeze, I'm going x-rated here. Sorry guys.:D

Probably the best BC in a quality hunting bullet would be the 200 accubond at .588. It would be hard to beat that one. The hornady SST is an excellent bullet that is much less expensive but a little less BC..

Plus another one here...

For 30 cal bullets, I would rank...

200 AB, BC 588
180 E-Tip, BC 523
180 AB, BC 507

These are all good performers in external and terminal ballistics.

-MR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.