Best Fur load?

That would be super if you could do that the only way to say if a given cartridge is Fur Freindly or not is by the evidence.

I have two beautiful Bobcat Pelts hanging in my home, they are way to special to blow huge exit holes in......................That goes for Fox and Coyotes. I have so much respect for these animals , even the Kit Fox they are very special also......................I will start with the 17 Hornet take all shots under 100yds using the 23gr Woodchuck Den bullets and N120 and will post my findings...................................

many members here reload... Why not just develop loads with bullets for short, medium and long range. Either color the brass with a sharpie to designate which bullet is which, or put them in a wrist band ammo carrier or cheek riser that has ammo loops, in groups from near to far. You never know at what distance you are going to shoot, but if you usually shoot close... Then sight your scope to that bullet. Have your adjustments on your flip up or stock for the medium and long range bullets.

So if you are in the field and a yote is sitting at medium range, but won't come in.... Say 250 yards, and you have a short range bullet in your rifle. just grab your medium load, adjust scope to the medium bullet settings, and let er rip.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

This being if you are trying to avoid punch throughs. If not... Just find a good bullet that makes me eat dirt.

Last edited:
That's a lot of movement and coyotes done stick around long even when they don't see any movement ...................Your plan sounds good but in reality ???

That's a lot of movement and coyotes done stick around long even when they don't see any movement ...................Your plan sounds good but in reality ???

Yes indeed. Yotes have excellent sight and especially for any kind of motion. I guess I have a turret scope which I adjust all the time on dogs... And a wrist carrier puts you close up against the rifle... It'd just be a matter of putting in a round. I think it's doable. I'll give it a go just for fun next time I'm out and see what kind of reaction I get... Or if I get one at all. I don't care about the fur, so I usually just adjust the scope, aim, pull trigger.

I suppose if the shooter had a magazined rifle, and it wasn't too loud, he could just lay 3 mags under the rifle and put in the mag that was appropriate for his shooting distance. Still would have to cycle the bolt (assuming it's a bolt action)... And dial in the scope..(no big deal). A semi auto might be more difficult to pull this off... Due to the sound of the action when engaged.

Interesting thread. I'll post back with my results using a bolt action as soon as I get out. Probably after I get my deer... So sometime late October.

I haven't with my bolt action, but have several dogs that have fallen on the move under my sweet 16 semi. I really love that gun and think that dpms is severely under-rated. The reason I carry a bolt occasionally is that it's much more pleasant when a set is distant. The semi gets a bit heavy on long treks, even with the 16" heavy barrel, but it sure is effective on follow-ups, especially when uphill of what I'm shooting.

After shooting 2000 coyotes with over half being taken with a 17.rem and 25gr. Bergers, the rest were with 52.sierra and hornady match hollow points the small 25.gr bullet did very littlle damage but always seemed to be a more effective killer, because of the extreme internal damage the bergers did.the 22.250 would often exit but they were all we could get whenwe started.

lyotehunter

With 2000 coyotes under your belt that kind of experience tells it all.............The 17 Remington and the 25gr bullet killing better than the 22-250 with almost perfect performance as a perfect fur Rifle is pretty convincing. Makes you wonder why you would look any further.
Im still looking for a 17 Remington..............saw two on line one was in the Remington 700 and the other one in the CZ 527 Im leaning towards the Remington as if and when you want to have it re-barreled there are a lot of Smiths that work with Remington's over CZ's.

i have never tried heavy bullets in my 223 but i have shot some with 30.gr. and they do pretty good.but i have shot some with tracers that we got while in the army they didn't always make pretty holes on the exit. shooting people with 223 full metal jackets made a mess to. when i started we didn't have all the bullets we do now so i guess i got stuck in my ways. you can make a great 17. if you can find a cheap short action,just put a pac-nor barrel on that.i know 2 people that have them and don't shoot them but they won't sell either. good luck. i might run in to you sometime i have hunted nev for over fourty years.and i plan on doing it this year,in my tent and bag.the bad thing is i sometimes have to go alone,guess i am nuts.

I don't have any experience so I've been doing a lot of asking. I did buy a 17 Hornady Hornet for Ground Squirrels and will be using it this fall and winter for cats and Fox. Of course a coyote will show up im sure but I'm not into long shots for me it always under 200yds.....................

I have always wanted a 17 and have looked at the 17 Remington Fire Ball
The 17 Remington and the 17 Tactical...........................I know that if I guy a factory Rifle I will want to get a Match grade barrel ..........so im just going to find a used Remington 700 .223 and order a McMillan Stock...and have someone put it all together.........................I wont have it this year but I will next and any cats I get will go towards this new Custom 17

Or a Cooper

My friend has built 2 or 300 rifles using a lot of bell &carlson stocks, you can get one at stockys for around 250.oo for a metalist and they work great.i built one of the first and I couldn't have one that shot any better groups they have aluminum bedding blocks.just an idea you might want to look at it is easy to pillar bed them yourself and fun.good luck what ever you decide.

Funny, My wife told me that since I bought one 17 for Bobcats you can buy your next one with the money you're going to make off of the Cats your going to shoot this year........................................yes, Dear.
Right now she wants her own shotgun for chukar this year............so as of now her shotgun if first priority.

The two cats I trapped last year are on the Family room wall ...........she thought they were so beautiful that's where they stayed.

Trapping was very stressful it was not the anti trappers I had to keep and eye out for it was other Trappers..........................This year Im going to call the area's I trapped so I don't have to keep looking over my shoulder

I understand there are a lot of bad people now days.and cats are beautiful.ln a way your lucky your wife likes that my sons wife don't even like his eurapean mounted deer in the house.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.