Best elk rifle?

mtbohunter

Ok, first off I am kind of stuck on 338's as my choice of elk calibers. I know everybody can kill with less, but I have used less with lesser results. I have had great luck with my 338wm loaded with Barns 225's and I probably wont change that combo any time soon.
That being said: I am using an older Ruger 77 that shoots well to 400yds but its a lot to carry while backpacking in Montana. I have been looking at the Kimber Montana as well as the Tikka lite both in 338wm and heard some ruff kicking storys about the Tikka. How much less does the Kimber kick and how much better rifle is it?
Or should I look at a 338rum and if so what is the best {and lightest} rifle under $1,300 in that caliber??

Thanks in advance for any input you may have!

Ok, first off I am kind of stuck on 338's as my choice of elk calibers. I know everybody can kill with less, but I have used less with lesser results. I have had great luck with my 338wm loaded with Barns 225's and I probably wont change that combo any time soon.
That being said: I am using an older Ruger 77 that shoots well to 400yds but its a lot to carry while backpacking in Montana. I have been looking at the Kimber Montana as well as the Tikka lite both in 338wm and heard some ruff kicking storys about the Tikka. How much less does the Kimber kick and how much better rifle is it?
Or should I look at a 338rum and if so what is the best {and lightest} rifle under $1,300 in that caliber??

Thanks in advance for any input you may have!
The lighter you go the heavier the felt recoil is going to be. A good muzzle break, recoil pad, and maybe a mercury recoil reducer will help, but it's still going to buck pretty hard if it's light.

For big game the general rule is go as big as you can stand to shoot comfortably.

If I were going to build or buy any of the .338's it'd be the .338 Rum.

My sendero .300 Rum weighs in at around 9.5lbs but then I've got a 2lbs plus scope on it.... .

My preference in the bigger caliber would be 9-12lbs.

One other issue with light rifles is that they tend to be whippy and thus you are going to likely give up some accuracy.

Wind, body movements even your heartbeat and breathing can affect accuracy and the lighter the rifle the more they will impact your ability to put it on target every time.

If you are naturally extremely steady it's not going to make a huge difference but it is going to make some.

I'd suggest doing some target shooting at long range first with a light rifle before you settle on going that route.

Thanks for the feed back! I have a Tikka 22-250 bull barrel that I mapped to 500. Shoots great groups at 500yds but in an elk rifle I would really like a super light weight even if I have to keep my shots a little closer because most all the hunting I do is miles from my truck. My 338wm has a heavy barrel and weighs in at 10.5lbs with scope and I really don't mind the recoil. With some recoil medicine on the rifle I am hoping to stay under 8lbs total and the only 338cal that I can find in that range is the two listed above in Win mag. If I could find a 338rum in the 9lb range I would really like that best, knowing I would need a brake, mercury and a Sims pad.
Any knowledge of a light weight 338 RUM that still shoots well?

Thanks for the feed back! I have a Tikka 22-250 bull barrel that I mapped to 500. Shoots great groups at 500yds but in an elk rifle I would really like a super light weight even if I have to keep my shots a little closer because most all the hunting I do is miles from my truck. My 338wm has a heavy barrel and weighs in at 10.5lbs with scope and I really don't mind the recoil. With some recoil medicine on the rifle I am hoping to stay under 8lbs total and the only 338cal that I can find in that range is the two listed above in Win mag. If I could find a 338rum in the 9lb range I would really like that best, knowing I would need a brake, mercury and a Sims pad.
Any knowledge of a light weight 338 RUM that still shoots well?
Depending on the weight of your scope the Sendero is in that weight class, though at the upper end.

You might consider a Sendero in a light weight stock. That could shave a pound or two off but that would still be at the upper end.

The Alaskan TI could fit what you are looking for exactly.

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 Alaskan Ti - Remington Centerfire Rifles

Thank You! Yes, this does appear to be the rifle I have been looking for!
Now get a permit and come on out and go spring bear hunting with me!
June 1 is the best time! Spot and stalk.

Mt - I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 338 WM that I bought for the exact same reason. It is light and kicks like a mule. You will have to get it bedded though. The Tikka has a crappy bedding system - no recoil lug. There is a groove cut in the barrel that fits in a raised metal lip molded in the stock. I read how accurate these tikkas were supposed to be - but this was on varmint hunting forum and they were talking about varmint calibers. The 338 recoils so much it was jumping all over in the stock. I was getting 2 inch groups with good handloads. I took it to my gunsmith and he stiffened the forearm and bedded it. Now I am getting 1/2 inch groups with barnes tsx 210gr bt's. I took my mt bear test cuz I was thinking about going on a spot and stalk hunt there. Dan

Thanks for the info! From what I have read the Kimber Montana is bedded a little better and recoils less.
If I am going to buy a new rifle I may get a rum though. The rem XCR is a possibility but they are discontinued, so used.. I like being the first one to shoot a rifle. Clean between shots, etc..

Anyone know of a factory light weight currently made in 338.RUM

Ill be bear hunting this spring. Somebody should come.

Thanks for the info! From what I have read the Kimber Montana is bedded a little better and recoils less.
If I am going to buy a new rifle I may get a rum though. The rem XCR is a possibility but they are discontinued, so used.. I like being the first one to shoot a rifle. Clean between shots, etc..

Anyone know of a factory light weight currently made in 338.RUM

Ill be bear hunting this spring. Somebody should come.
I believe that Alaskan TI is avialable in the Rum but you could call remington and as. Their customer service reps tend to be pretty handy. If the TI isn't I bet they can steer you in the right direction.

Unfortunately on their site they really don't give a whole lot of info on caliber choices except in a very few cases.

Not too many people are going to be looking for a 6lbs .338 Rum though so they may be hard to come by.

The lighter the rig the more felt recoil you're gong to have and that's going to scare off most folks from the "light .338 Rum".

Not too many people are going to be looking for a 6lbs .338 Rum though so they may be hard to come by.

The lighter the rig the more felt recoil you're gong to have and that's going to scare off most folks from the "light .338 Rum".

More like people shopping for 9 pounders!!

Mt - If it was me I would have one built that way you can do anything you want to it. Just buy a Rem 700 adl from Sportsmans Whse for $399 and have it bedded and have a new barrel screwed on in any length you want - you can even have it fluted to cut down on weight. Or you can even get a new stock if you want to spend the extra money. I had my gunsmith stiffen the forearm and bed some Rem 700 s/s magnums I have and they shoot great now.

Not sure how far you are planning on shooting, but a really nice carry rifle would be the 338-06 or 338-06AI. The AI will get you close to the 33WM but with a lot less recoil. It is a very efficient and accurate cartridge especially with the lighter 338 bullets. The Sirocco 210 grain bullet would be deadly on elk out to 600 yards and further if you are up to the shot.

Also there is 338-06 brass available from a couple manf's.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts