Best Elk Bullet

OMG!!! This would be funny if it wasn't so pitiful. Talk about a 4-year old! More like a 2-year-old throwing a tantrum when he doesn't get the answer he expects/wants, lol. Some newbie with 31 posts (almost half of those on this thread) whining about getting the BEST answer to his original question "What is the best elk bullet for a 30 cal...."

But let's move from the topic of reading comprehension and go to the topic of how to ask an intelligent question... verses a ****-poor, unspecific, rambling question, that contradicts itself. What is the best elk bullet for a 30 cal?... but let's eliminate the obvious answer, haha... Kind of a trap.

WHY NOT just ask what the best bullet for elk is that's not a Berger?

And while you're at it, why not specify what cartridge and barrel length you're using and at what ranges you expect to be shooting.

I'll break it down further:

What is the best elk bullet for a 30 cal. –---- You got your answer over-and-over-and-over-again :D

Has anyone used the ELDX? –--- You got that answer too

What weight is the best? –--- Again! Have you ever tried a 215 gr Berger, or just the 185's? They're two completely different bullets. For longer range shots, and penetration in general, heavy-for-caliber is best (higher sectional density = better penetration.)

Looking for Blood trail bullets. –--- Try an arrow :)... Big exit/entrance holes leave good blood trails. Shot placement matters. Worst blood trails I've ever seen were from bullets that penetrated completely and left pretty much 'pencil hole' wounds (Barnes and Accubonds).

No Berger's. ---- Lol, so much for the first question.

I don't want a bullet the loose 90% of its weight. ---- False premise in this statement. You've already been shown plenty of evidence in this thread about much less than 90% weight shed. Nice grammar/spelling on this part by the way...

All that said, I made two kills this season with the ELD-X bullets (6.5mm, not 30 cal) and they were all I had hoped for. Shot a cow elk at 350 yards, with a 143 ELD-x from a 260 Rem. (2810 fps muzzle velocity). Broke both shoulders and exited. The blood trail was excellent (all 5 yards of it :D )!

Berger Target/Tactical bullets have thicker jackets than the 'hunting' bullets (as per Berger) and as such they typically shed less weight and penetrate better. Some of them make excellent hunting bullets. I prefer them to the 'hunting' labeled bullets. They really are right up your alley, just make sure the tips are open.

If you're not smart enough to understand how the Hauge Convention affects the way bullet manufacturers market to remain eligible for military contracts, if you're not competent enough to do your own testing, if you don't have the sense to listen to others with more knowledge and experience than you.... Well then just keep on listening to the Berger Tech and reading the side of bullet boxes. Have fun with those Barnes/Partitions. Use them at long range and you can write a thread about how that blood trail just kept going and going and going...

Nice write up and once again in true American fashion it was all about how you wanted to respond and what I ask for in a response. Just don't respond! I don't need your help. I already got the help I needed. I wish I never started this topic and I'm getting off this web sight it was totally exhausting dealing with a holes on here. I did get one person that helped me out a lot and was a class act. I wish more people on here were like him. FYI you need to get some help you sound very angry and it might lead to a heart attack someday.

hornady interlock, hornady interbond, hornady GMX, nosler partition, serria game king. I myself prefer the interlock but am looking at the partition. I use 139gr 7mm on deer and they drop right there every time, granted ive only shot 30 or so in my life but I have never had one take more than a step. obviously you will need more weight for elk mabye in the 200-250gr range not sure what you are looking for in speed but any of the bullets listed,if shot behind the front shoulder should drop an elk no problem. my suggestion would be to grab a box of each load 5 and see how they group. spending $200 now to find the right bullet will make the thousands you spend on an elk guide worth it. Good luck an have fungun)

I thought Rymarts lead off with OMG!!! was pretty funny. Hope he's not a 12 year old junior highschooler. But, you never know. You don't need Bergers to kill elk. But, they are a viable option. mtmuley

My buddy told me I needed to check out this thread because of the hornet nest that got stirred up. The OP had no idea what was coming his way when he said he did not like to use Bergers. The only thing he could have done to get that nest more stirred up is ask about the toxicity of lead in the meat from highly frangible bullets. :D:rolleyes:gun)

Steve

Hey ski-dooz, lots of good folks and info here. Don't be so quick to give up. Just know you will be force fed the Bergers at every turn. I use some myself, but you **** sure don't have to if you want to kill elk. Lots of other bullets will get it done. mtmuley

Wow I have never had a Berger exit. shot 50 plus animals never and none.

Here are 2 that passed through this past season.....140 Hunting VLD @ 3380fps from 26 Nosler and 140 Hunting VLD @ 2730 fps from 6.5 Creedmoor. Both intentionally shot broadside through both shoulders to check penetration. Two different velocities and exact same results....neither animal took a step!

Attachments

• IMG_2102.JPG
    IMG_2102.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2098.JPG
    IMG_2098.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 89
I watched my nephew shoot a smallish mulie buck at 225 yards with a 140 VLD out of a 7mm-08, MV close to 2900 fps. First shot bang right behind the shoulder, exited. I thought he missed because the buck didn't react. So much for the energy dump. The buck ran toward us, maybe 40 yards, along a fence line. My nephew hit him again as the buck was thinking about jumping the fence. That one put him down, but only after he staggered around for a few seconds. I was unimpressed. We went back to Partitions for him.

P

I too am sensitive to meat lose, I stopped using Berger and went back to the Scirocco, never had a elk get away with that bullet. But where we live in Montana our elk areas do not produce shots over 600 unless it is the late season where you are out in the sage brush. The ELDX or Accubond LR preform well for that ! The best bullet in my opinion is the one you shoot the best and it sticks together.

There are some 30 caliber Berger bullets that perform well on elk, and I believe their 215 and 230 grain bullets are two of them, based on user experiences posted on this Forum. Yet these positive experiences are based on the premise that the jacket tips aren't pinched together and closed up during manufacture. The tips of the jackets must have a hole in them in order to improve the odds of expansion.

To my knowledge, Berger has never acknowledged that the tips of their bullets must have an open hole in them to improve the odds of reliable expansion. I've come to believe they never will, no matter how well known this 'fact' becomes accepted by the most experienced and knowledgeable users of their bullets.

Which is a shame. One of the large sources of disappointing bullet performance could be greatly reduced if Berger could see fit to speak to this important detail concerning the use of their bullets for hunting. Namely, that shooting one of their bullets that has the jacket tip pinched closed could increase the odds that the bullet will not expand upon impact with an animal.

I can understand Berger's reluctance to provide this information to their customers, on the one hand. But on the other hand, their repetitive claims of providing their customers with the best information available to improve the odds of the best possible user experience rings hollow.

"We recommend that customers using this bullet for hunting check to ensure the tip of the bullet has a visible opening within the center of the jacket material to help ensure the bullet performs as intended."

That isn't too painful or difficult - is it? I could be even more critical, but I'll leave it with this opinion: Berger shouldn't need any more evidence than is currently available to provide a recommendation on this detail to improve the odds of a positive user experience. This is a fault that's been begging for exposure. I've been patiently waiting for years now. Yet not a word.

Which is a shame. One of the large sources of disappointing bullet performance could be greatly reduced if Berger could see fit to speak to this important detail concerning the use of their bullets for hunting. Namely, that shooting one of their bullets that has the jacket tip pinched closed could increase the odds that the bullet will not expand upon impact with an animal.

One has to wonder if it has anything to do with the potential customer relation issue that could come of it. Company's design and market products all the time that account for user error.
An engineer might have scratch the best performing design because it has a higher risk of user error.

Aside from the military contract side of things, with Berger not ever addressing the 215 and 230 bullets as a hunting offering they avoid the inevitable phone calls of users saying their "bullet blew up", their bullet "lost a 400" elk", etc. All they have to do is state they only recommend it for target.

It allows them to keep a positive reputation and not have a few bad users go crazy on internet forums and ruin their name.

Aside from the military contract side of things, with Berger not ever addressing the 215 and 230 bullets as a hunting offering they avoid the inevitable phone calls of users saying their "bullet blew up", their bullet "lost a 400" elk", etc. All they have to do is state they only recommend it for target.

They've already addressed that! They can only recommend, the end-user has the ultimate responsibility on how they choose to use it and must face the consequence of their decision(s).

Berger_zps4orvpkwf.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.