Best Elk, Moose and Bear load for 30-06

After seeing what a 215 Berger does from a 300 win and after shooting mule deer and elk with a 308 and a 215 Berger there is simply no other bullet that would interest me in an 06.

Been trying to get my hands on them for my 300 win since I read about Broz success with them way back when and nada. Have not seen a 200 accubond in about 3 years either and my 300 loves them.I did luck out on some 185 bergers a couple of years ago and they shot great and I could drive them fast but not enough weight for me in the 300 if going past deer sized animals. Same for 338 bergers none to be found. LRAB`s same story. I have been able to get TTSx`s from time to time from 7mm up to 338 and when I do find them I buy what ever I can get. Sure has hampered my long range shooting improvement over the last couple of years but such is the way of things here north of the 48th. It really sucks it might not be great for you guys in the states but you folks are light years ahead of us up here in Kanuckastan. Right now I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

The Hornady 200gr ELDX would be a excellent choice also. It is possible to push it to 2700fps which would still be at 2294fps and 2336ftlbs at 300 yards with time of flight at 0.362 seconds. If zero is 250 yards it would be 3.5 inches high at mid range and 4.1 inches low at 300 yards which as flat as possible with the 06 and a heavy bullet.

I have been using the 230g Berger tactical OTM at 2448fps muzzle velocity from
My .30/06 since 2012. I anneal them. My hunting buddies refer to them as 'Bergerbonds' the annealed front fragments as Berger VLD hunting bullets do yielding a wide wound channel and the tough, thick jacket body of the tactical OTM holds together and penetrates similar to a Nosler Accubond. We have taken 11 whitetail deer from 40 yards out to 720 yards, all DRT with my rig. 40 yards was a bit ugly, double shoulder hit about 4" exit with lungs liquified (poured them on the ground, literally) I anneal the bullet forward the ogive, it's super easy to do, they open reliably, shed the front half of the bullet as Berger VLDs do from 3"-8" into the body cavity then the base punches through the animal, (slightly larger than 2" exit wound on the doe taken at 720)
I also use this exact bullet at a MV of 2840fps from my 30/338 win, another hunting buddy uses it at 2770fps from a 30" tubed 300 win mag, and at 3130fps from his 300 ultra (super impressive results, like a light switch) All of them have taken multiple head of deer (at least three) with the same result. Our 'skeptical' friend started using this modified bullet in his .30/06 at 2485fps this past season after watching all of us drop everything we touched with the modified Berger right where they stood and him having the unfortunate result of losing a wounded deer the previous season using a 178AMAX (he missed the wind call, not really a bullet failure) and this late rifle season he took a nice, large, mature mule deer at 650yards, broke both shoulders, destroyed the lungs and had a 2" exit. He just had a series of turrets built for his huskemaw using the 230 Berger OTM so I suppose it's safe to say he's solidly converted since he spent $50 a turret.
It's hard to argue with the slick .368 G7 BC, aren't very sensitive to seating depth so accuracy is easy to find at magazine lengths, they are easy to anneal, hit like a freight train and are commonly available, even when the other bullets aren't. Sometimes looking a little bit outside of the ordinary, making a small change and thoroughly testing yields something great. I wouldn't hesitate to use this on anything in North America, things don't go far with liquified lungs, two broken shoulders and a 2" plus exit wound. Have fun and be safe.

Inside of 300 yards I see no reason to shoot a hollowpoint bullet unless its the only thing the gun will shoot. I know a Berger can work but a partition WILL work.
I have seen too many hollowpoints blow shut but a partition will always open and penetrate!

The 30-06 180 gr RN Remington Cor-Loc is one of the greatest deer, 250 lb. and less Black Bear bullets I have seen used. Many of those bullets will not exit if they cross through the chest and stop in the shoulder on the other side, No exit wound makes blood scarce for tracking, if needed.

On Elk and Moose size animals I would suggest 180 gr. or 200 gr. Nosler Partition also for 30-06. They give you good expansion initially and deep penetration. I have shot animals with 270, 30 and 338 Nosler Partition. Only had one 180 gr. 30 cal. NP recovered, It was from an Elk, right flank to left front shoulder. Over 4 ft. penetration with a 300 WSM at 220 yds. Good Luck in your choice.

Sir,
I have had excellent results with Barnes, all copper "X" bullets in my .06 in Alaska for over 20 yrs. I used Partitions, but tried the Barnes to get more accuracy in my rifle. The 165 and 180 Barnes flat put big critters on the ground with authority, out to 300ish. I have never had to shoot a Moose or Brown bear more than one time, and I am definitely a fan of shooting things multiple times...The last Brown I shot at 30 yds didn't make it 40 yds and I hit him too far back. These bullets usually pass all the way through both sides, rarely have I recovered one. They are nicely accurate, and after I used them on game, there simply was no reason to use any other. I punch paper with match bullets...YMMV

A lot of good advice here

One of my old favorite loads for years

180 Nosler Part
IMR 4350 @ 56.0
WW brass with Fed 210M primer

Been trying to get my hands on them for my 300 win since I read about Broz success with them way back when and nada. Have not seen a 200 accubond in about 3 years either and my 300 loves them.I did luck out on some 185 bergers a couple of years ago and they shot great and I could drive them fast but not enough weight for me in the 300 if going past deer sized animals. Same for 338 bergers none to be found. LRAB`s same story. I have been able to get TTSx`s from time to time from 7mm up to 338 and when I do find them I buy what ever I can get. Sure has hampered my long range shooting improvement over the last couple of years but such is the way of things here north of the 48th. It really sucks it might not be great for you guys in the states but you folks are light years ahead of us up here in Kanuckastan. Right now I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

I am also in Canada, but I have usually been able to find 215 Bergers. Way back maybe in 2011-12 they were scarce. Maybe I bought to many and didn't leave any for the rest of Canada LOL. Keep looking they are out there. Try RAYNER SHINE in Saskatchewan.

I have been using the 230g Berger tactical OTM at 2448fps muzzle velocity from
My .30/06 since 2012. I anneal them. My hunting buddies refer to them as 'Bergerbonds' the annealed front fragments as Berger VLD hunting bullets do yielding a wide wound channel and the tough, thick jacket body of the tactical OTM holds together and penetrates similar to a Nosler Accubond. We have taken 11 whitetail deer from 40 yards out to 720 yards, all DRT with my rig. 40 yards was a bit ugly, double shoulder hit about 4" exit with lungs liquified (poured them on the ground, literally) I anneal the bullet forward the ogive, it's super easy to do, they open reliably, shed the front half of the bullet as Berger VLDs do from 3"-8" into the body cavity then the base punches through the animal, (slightly larger than 2" exit wound on the doe taken at 720)
I also use this exact bullet at a MV of 2840fps from my 30/338 win, another hunting buddy uses it at 2770fps from a 30" tubed 300 win mag, and at 3130fps from his 300 ultra (super impressive results, like a light switch) All of them have taken multiple head of deer (at least three) with the same result. Our 'skeptical' friend started using this modified bullet in his .30/06 at 2485fps this past season after watching all of us drop everything we touched with the modified Berger right where they stood and him having the unfortunate result of losing a wounded deer the previous season using a 178AMAX (he missed the wind call, not really a bullet failure) and this late rifle season he took a nice, large, mature mule deer at 650yards, broke both shoulders, destroyed the lungs and had a 2" exit. He just had a series of turrets built for his huskemaw using the 230 Berger OTM so I suppose it's safe to say he's solidly converted since he spent $50 a turret.
It's hard to argue with the slick .368 G7 BC, aren't very sensitive to seating depth so accuracy is easy to find at magazine lengths, they are easy to anneal, hit like a freight train and are commonly available, even when the other bullets aren't. Sometimes looking a little bit outside of the ordinary, making a small change and thoroughly testing yields something great. I wouldn't hesitate to use this on anything in North America, things don't go far with liquified lungs, two broken shoulders and a 2" plus exit wound. Have fun and be safe.

Would you mind explaining how you anneal these? I have a 300 WSM I would like to try these with. Also, any reason you don't use the 185gr Berger Tactical bullet??

Thanks
Doug

Would you mind explaining how you anneal these? I have a 300 WSM I would like to try these with. Also, any reason you don't use the 185gr Berger Tactical bullet??

Thanks
Doug

I have not worked with the 185 Tactical bullet so I can NOT make any suggestions as to how it would or wouldn't perform. I would suggest testing them into some media so you can be sure of what they will do before trying anything on game.

Just do a search on YouTube for bullet annealing it is really straight forward. I started shooting these back in early 2012. I couldn't find any of the 215 or 230 hybrids online or elsewhere, but OTM tactical bullet everywhere. I bought 200 and started testing into wet newspaper. I wasn't seeing much reliable expansion below 2,000fps so I started annealing to extend that window and continued testing. I have shot and recovered hundreds of the modified bullets into wet newspaper down to ~1,550fps impact velocity. In the ten twist rifles that I have tested reliabe expansion ceased about right there. Tumbling also starts showing up about that velocity with bullets recovered base first with inconsistent shedding of the nose. I shoot FOR the shoulder and make sure the range is inside 750 yards maximum with my .30/06.

If I was starting over today I would try the following in this order; 215 Berger, 230 Berger hybrid, 212 Hornady ELDX and Nosler LR Accubond. All are proven hammers.

180 Grain Nosler Partition
Winchester Brass
Winchester Large rifle primers (switched to CCI after a bad batch of WLR primers)
56 grains of H-4350

One shot Kills: Wildebeest, Kudu, Impala, Diker, Gembuck, Springbok, Zebra, a Baboon and 3 Warthogs. Shot my bear with a .270 Win.

Good luck

Jerry

I'd be shooting the 165 or 180 Grain Accubond or the Partition. The 165 gr Partition has done the job very well on Elk out of my 30-06.

Not sure of the cost of bullets in your area, but up here in Western Canada a box of whopper bullets will set a person back a $100 too $125 bucks.

We've been using the frugal bags of Winchester bullets that come in the 1000 pack for $200 + shipping and tax.
Semi pointed 165, 180, and 200gr for 308, 30-06, 300 Win and Weatherby mags.

From small coyotes too large Moose and Elk.
No furry critters like being tagged with them as its game over at close up or at distance.

These crappy bullets fall apart as they crash into fur, then an explosion of massive damage after that.
Some time they punch threw, other times they "shot-gun" shrapnel. Either way their toast.

Good luck at what ever one chooses as the selection is massive in what kinda funds are being spent.
I'm now down too one big game rifle in 0dd 6 as it fills everything I encounter.

Don from Western Canada along the Eastern Slopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.