Best Chronograph

Magnetospeed.

The only thing that I don't like about them is that I don't trust the groups size that I get when firing over one. Typically, my group is 3/4" higher than w/o the Magnetospeed so I don't trust that I'm getting shot to shot consistency.

LabRadar appears to be the perfect solution but who knows when they will be available.

Ok thanks a lot guys. I will look more into the Magnetospeeds. What is the difference between the three different models? Thanks

Ok thanks a lot guys. I will look more into the Magnetospeeds. What is the difference between the three different models? Thanks

Increasingly better attachment to barrel and easier scrolling through device options. Check website.

Magnetospeed.

The only thing that I don't like about them is that I don't trust the groups size that I get when firing over one. Typically, my group is 3/4" higher than w/o the Magnetospeed so I don't trust that I'm getting shot to shot consistency.

LabRadar appears to be the perfect solution but who knows when they will be available.

That's why you don't ladder test with it on there...

You find your load, then you put it on and test your speed.

I ladder test, find a load that I like, then load up 50 for my ammo box. Then when I get the chance, I go shoot 3 or 5, then let it cool (10 rounds total), then use that for my averages, off of my pre-established load.

I have shot quite a few groups with the magnetospeed and have found that for MY rifles that it does not change the group SIZE at all. It does however change the point of impact. It "pushes" the bullet away from the bayonet. In fact I can push the bullet in any direction by rotating the bayo around the muzzle...my theory is that there is a interaction between the bullet shockwave/flow around the bullet that a being trapped against the bayonet. I have a V1 and the wY it mounts on my rifles the bullet is very close to the bayonet, so maybe that is exacerbating the effect, or maybe the cause is something else entirely. In any case, I have had success shooting for group size during load development with the magnetospeed attached but certainly wouldn't zero with it.

Every once in awhile when it is cold I get some wierd readings. For instance, I clocked a 180 hybrid at 3350ish out of my 7 rem mag 3 times in a row. Yeah right, I wish. Turned everything off and back on and it went back to normal.

I am annoyed at how expensive it is to upgrade the bayonet to the version that accommodates suppressors. I was one of the early customers for an expensive unproven device and it would be nice if when they brought out the much needed upgrades based on OUR feedback as customers that they would cut previous customers a break.

I have shot quite a few groups with the magnetospeed and have found that for MY rifles that it does not change the group SIZE at all. It does however change the point of impact. It "pushes" the bullet away from the bayonet.

I get the same thing and spoke with the Manufacturer. They said that some people get the POI shift and some don't. They recommend doing load development in 2 steps because of this.

I have a hard time believing that if a plastic bayonet can divert a bullet 3/4 MOA, it will divert it to exactly the right POI every time, just 3/4 MOA perpendicular to the surface of the bayonet. I've also noticed that the nylon strap on the bayonet loosens shot to shot. If the bayonet rotates at all, the group size will change.

It's a great chrono. I just don't trust it to give me accurate groups.

...It's a great chrono. I just don't trust it to give me accurate groups.
I load develop in thee steps. Proof the safety of the load ladder, Get the load that works at 100. Then check fps with a MagnetoSpeed.

Magnetospeed, QuickLoad+OBT have saved me hundreds of rounds of wear on my barrels. I calc the load, check some cross referencing. Start lower with 1 round per increment. That proofs the safety of the ladder. This with the MagnetoSpeed on. Then pick the range close to the OBT. Shoot the groups w/o Magnetospeed. If one or more work. Fine tune it. Finally check it again with the MagnetoSpeed.

I can find the fps of factory ammo in moments with MagnetoSpeed. Do the drops and go.

If you want to safety proof, accuracy proof and get your velocity all in one step, use an optical. Just remember they have foibles and failures due to light sensativity.

Magnetospeed.

The MagnetoSpeed is a chronograph; it isn't intended for use in developing loads for bug hole accuracy. While I find that the shots on target do tend to group higher with the MagnetoSpeed in place, the overall size of the group doesn't seem to vary from what I might expect sans MagnetoSpeed. The MagnetoSpeed should be used to determine muzzle velocity of the load. I work up the most accurate load, then run it over the MagnetoSpeed for get the MV data for that load.

... I've also noticed that the nylon strap on the bayonet loosens shot to shot.....

I too had some difficulty with the nylon strap loosening up. What I learned to do is to loosen the tension knob as far out as possible, pull the inner strap as tight as possible by hand, then pull the outer strap as tight as possible before tightening the tension knob. Using that technique the bayonet banjo stays in place throughout my test sessions.

The MagnetoSpeed is a chronograph; it isn't intended for use in developing loads for bug hole accuracy. While I find that the shots on target do tend to group higher with the MagnetoSpeed in place, the overall size of the group doesn't seem to vary from what I might expect sans MagnetoSpeed. The MagnetoSpeed should be used to determine muzzle velocity of the load. I work up the most accurate load, then run it over the MagnetoSpeed for get the MV data for that load.

I too had some difficulty with the nylon strap loosening up. What I learned to do is to loosen the tension knob as far out as possible, pull the inner strap as tight as possible by hand, then pull the outer strap as tight as possible before tightening the tension knob. Using that technique the bayonet banjo stays in place throughout my test sessions.

I realize that he magneto speed wasn't designed to be used to work up bug hole loads. I'm just saying that it's a drawback to not be able to be certain of group size when shooting over one. For instance I was using OCW recently to work up a load. I had the same POI with 45.8-46.2 grains of powder. I chronographed those loads to compare SD's. It would have been convenient if I could have chronographed those loads during the OCW work up. I'll grant you that I'm new to load dev. and may not be doing it exactly as I should.

I have a Magneto speed V2 and like it very much. I also use a PVM21 but found it to be fragile. I had a Shooting Crony and found it only slightly better than flat out guessing, on some instances not as close as guessing.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.