Best bullet weight for 280 Ackley improved with 22 inch barrel

I hope you find a factory load that works well for you. I just picked up my new .280AI. I built mine off an old Remington action I wasn't using and a Brux barrel I picked up off this site.

I quickly did some load testing this past weekend and I can tell it's going to be a shooter. I started with 160 Accubonds and 168 Berger HLVDs. All I have on hand is 4831SC, so nothing screaming on velocity, but extremely consistent. I fired 9 different powder charges of 3 shots each with the 160 Accubond and not a single group was over .75" at 100 yards. I am going back this weekend to see if I can push it a bit hotter. I was sitting at 2856 and 59.1gr of powder. I think I have room to go as there was no indication of pressure. This was out of a 24" barrel. I love this caliber so far.
If you can find RL26 it should safely push the 168 Berger above 2900 with a 24" barrel.

I am glad to see that the 280ai is still going strong. I have owned 3 of them. Having one built right now. Was tempted to do a 7mm SAUM But glad I didn't.

I hope you find a factory load that works well for you. I just picked up my new .280AI. I built mine off an old Remington action I wasn't using and a Brux barrel I picked up off this site.

I quickly did some load testing this past weekend and I can tell it's going to be a shooter. I started with 160 Accubonds and 168 Berger HLVDs. All I have on hand is 4831SC, so nothing screaming on velocity, but extremely consistent. I fired 9 different powder charges of 3 shots each with the 160 Accubond and not a single group was over .75" at 100 yards. I am going back this weekend to see if I can push it a bit hotter. I was sitting at 2856 and 59.1gr of powder. I think I have room to go as there was no indication of pressure. This was out of a 24" barrel. I love this caliber so far.

Make sure you take it slowly, the AI cartridges hide pressure signs very well. I do recommend accuracy over velocity any day. Good luck and stay safe

I got great speed from rl26 but in my 1000 yard gun couldn't shoot competitive with it. Retumbo and rl23 were much better. I had 180 eldms going right at 3000fps with rl26 and it hammered close but tuning it for 1000 was problematic. Im switching to the 7 saum or 7 max or 7ss. Haven't decided yet. I built more 280ai in the last few years than any other cartridge. It's a dandy for sure.
Shep

Once again thank you for your help and your time. I just ordered a box of federal premium ammo that was suggested earlier today to try out. I will certainly look at Superior Ammunition too. My question about Hammer Hunter bullets is "doesn't the lighter weights and lower b.c. matter?"

Also, I will make sure to break in the barrel of my new gun. I have the copper solvent, good cleaning rod, and bore guide already purchased... just eagerly waiting for my scope mounts to arrive and then I begin. I'm eager to see how this new Savage ultralite shoots!!!

I'm sure the Federal Premium ammo will shoot well. I tried it on my wife's and my 7mm-08's with the 140gr Accubond and it shot just under 0.75" at 100m on both rifles. I like to have a factory ammo that I know shoots well on my rifles just in case.

I just got some for my 7mm Rem Mag with the 168gr Berger Hybrid Hunter, had to use some loyalty points at Sportsmans Warehouse and they didn't have the powder I needed so I got them for the brass and might as well try out the bullet. Good luck and let us know how it works out. Stay safe

I got great speed from rl26 but in my 1000 yard gun couldn't shoot competitive with it. Retumbo and rl23 were much better. I had 180 eldms going right at 3000fps with rl26 and it hammered close but tuning it for 1000 was problematic. Im switching to the 7 saum or 7 max or 7ss. Haven't decided yet. I built more 280ai in the last few years than any other cartridge. It's a dandy for sure.
Shep
I have some RL23 but am having trouble finding load data for it. Mind sharing yours? Currently I'm shooting 169 ABLR with either IMR4350 or H4831SC
Thanks

I have some RL23 but am having trouble finding load data for it. Mind sharing yours? Currently I'm shooting 169 ABLR with either IMR4350 or H4831SC
Thanks
Call Berger. They will give you RL23 load data for the 168 VLD. They may have data for the 175 Elite Hunter.

The farther and slower you are shooting the more bc makes a diff. As @dougduey said higher vel from lighter bullets will overcome to a point. Higher bc bullets will always take over for wind and drop at some point down range. Often this is farther down range than is needed. The 20% lower density in material between copper and lead, makes it impossible for a copper bullet to achieve the same bc as a lead bullet. Can't beat physics.

If you compare the physical size of our 143g Hammer Hunter to a 160g AB they are roughly the same size. As was mentioned our bullet is going to retain 70% of its weight whether it impacts at high or low vel. The physical size of the projectile plays a role on impact and after deformation. The lighter 143g bullet will wind up being physically larger than the heavier lead bullet after impact. Then comes the most underrated factor in the choice of hunting bullets. Impact Velocity. Speed kills. The shock that is imparted on the animal from a high speed impact than is shedding 30% of it's weight as quickly as possible is simply impressive. Then having a retained shank that is flat on the frontal area that will straight line penetrate regardless of bone or not, creates a large initial wound channel that then continues a nice wound channel all the way through the animal. The more permanant wound the quicker the kill. This is, and always will be the most important to aspect to our hunting bullets.

Roy Weatherby and others were ahead of their time knowing that impact vel on animals is priceless. There just were not many bullets that could hold up to the launch speeds or the impacts at high vel. We don't have issues with either.

Good luck in your quest and good hunting.

The farther and slower you are shooting the more bc makes a diff. As @dougduey said higher vel from lighter bullets will overcome to a point. Higher bc bullets will always take over for wind and drop at some point down range. Often this is farther down range than is needed. The 20% lower density in material between copper and lead, makes it impossible for a copper bullet to achieve the same bc as a lead bullet. Can't beat physics.

If you compare the physical size of our 143g Hammer Hunter to a 160g AB they are roughly the same size. As was mentioned our bullet is going to retain 70% of its weight whether it impacts at high or low vel. The physical size of the projectile plays a role on impact and after deformation. The lighter 143g bullet will wind up being physically larger than the heavier lead bullet after impact. Then comes the most underrated factor in the choice of hunting bullets. Impact Velocity. Speed kills. The shock that is imparted on the animal from a high speed impact than is shedding 30% of it's weight as quickly as possible is simply impressive. Then having a retained shank that is flat on the frontal area that will straight line penetrate regardless of bone or not, creates a large initial wound channel that then continues a nice wound channel all the way through the animal. The more permanant wound the quicker the kill. This is, and always will be the most important to aspect to our hunting bullets.

Roy Weatherby and others were ahead of their time knowing that impact vel on animals is priceless. There just were not many bullets that could hold up to the launch speeds or the impacts at high vel. We don't have issues with either.

Good luck in your quest and good hunting.

I have always wondered why pressure signs can show up quickly and seemingly early and below book max with Talley bullets. Is it the increase bearing surface that comes with an all copper bullet? Not being critical as I have had great success with Talley's.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.