Best bullet weight for 280 Ackley improved with 22 inch barrel

MIBirdhunter

I am relatively new to long range shooting/hunting and I have an elk hunt planned for this fall. I just got a savage ultralite in 280AI and was looking for suggestions for which bullet weight you would suggest for the 22 inch barrel which is a 1-19 proof carbon. I will be using factory loads but may order from Copper Creek to work up the most accurate loads.

Thanks in advance!

I have the same basic rifles. 150 grain seems the sweet spot. 131 hammer hunters and rl-26 really run easy but I'm going to go up a little for elk too. my 1/10-22"lilja likes the 131 haven't shot the proof enough yet to say which one it loves. 1/8-22" proof.

As mentioned above already, the best would be a bullet from 160gr to 168gr, 160 gr Accubond, 162gr SST or ELD-X, I havent tried the 168gr Bergers but many here say they love them, I'll be trying them out on deer this coming fall. The lowest I would go is 150gr Accubond , ABLR or 154gr Interbond which will also work great.

M
I am relatively new to long range shooting/hunting and I have an elk hunt planned for this fall. I just got a savage ultralite in 280AI and was looking for suggestions for which bullet weight you would suggest for the 22 inch barrel which is a 1-19 proof carbon. I will be using factory loads but may order from Copper Creek to work up the most accurate loads.

Thanks in advance!
My 1-9 twist likes 168 Berger's that's the heaviest I've got in .284 diameter.

My 22" noodle barrel remington mtn rifle shot 168lrabs okay...first two touch or so..next always varied an inch and a half one way or the other....but that bullet trying to get out of that liteweight barrel was about max.....
140gr or so I think would be optimum from a liteweight...
Mines 8.5 with scope..sling..chamber and mag loaded....

I don't think you have enough time to buy and try all the variables in powder, bullets, dies, testing etc. I would buy some loaded ammo like below👇
(Afterwards, decide if handloading is the way to go.)
I run the 143g Hammer Hunter in my 22" barreled 8" twist 280ai. I consider it a 700y elk rifle. You can check with Lonnie Cribb at Superior Ammunition for loaded ammo with the 143g Hammer Hunter. He does great work.

I have a 7mm 08 22 inch barrel Savage model 11 and a custom 280AI, 26 inch 1 in 9 barrel. I am working up elk loads with both. The 140 Nosler AB is mentioned a lot on this site as the best bullet and effective out to around 400 or 500 yards. I have used this bullet for deer hunting and it is the best deer round I've used. The question I have is the 280AI is the same caliber but I see the 160AB, 160 Partition, and 168 Berger mentioned as the go to bullet for elk. Why not the 140 Nosler AB? You're adding 100 to 150 fps. Just curious...

I have a 7mm 08 22 inch barrel Savage model 11 and a custom 280AI, 26 inch 1 in 9 barrel. I am working up elk loads with both. The 140 Nosler AB is mentioned a lot on this site as the best bullet and effective out to around 400 or 500 yards. I have used this bullet for deer hunting and it is the best deer round I've used. The question I have is the 280AI is the same caliber but I see the 160AB, 160 Partition, and 168 Berger mentioned as the go to bullet for elk. Why not the 140 Nosler AB? You're adding 100 to 150 fps. Just curious...
It is a good option for both. It is 150 fps gooder in the the 280ai.

I'm sure copper creek does great work, but if I was planning mainstream bullets, I'd try factory first.

Hornady loads the ELD-X - $49:

Nosler Loads the 160 AB - $59:

Federal Premium loads the 168 Berger - $38:

Hi everyone.. first thank you all for the information.. it is very helpful.
I have purchased both hornady 162 gr. Ed-x and 160gr. Nosler partition to see how they group.

As far as the Copper Creek loads, I was going to go that route if the other loads don't group very well for some reason.

I haven't shot the gun yet as I'm waiting on some talley scope mounts to arrive so I can put the VX5 that I bought.

Even though it's another question... how important do you guys think breaking in the barrel is???

Thanks again!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.