Best Bullet Choice for Long Range Antelope 243 Win twist 1:10

Going to be taking the 243 out for antelope this year and will be working up a new load with Lapua brass and Fed 210 primers. Rifle is a very accurate Winchester XPR and from what I can ascertain the twist is 1/10. I would like to be able to push a 103 105 grain bullet but I am getting some feed back that this may not be possible?? That it is unlikely any slippery bullet with a high BC over 95 grains will not stabilize!!? Trying to put together a load out to 500-600 yards if necessary.
just for my own reference I ran numbers on the 90gr gameking at 3100 fps at 1000ft altitude with a .470 g1 b.c. at 500 you should be at about 2150 fps and 940 ft lbs energy I would think plenty enough for antelope at that speed bullet should perform very well as always shot placement means everything

just for my own reference I ran numbers on the 90gr gameking at 3100 fps at 1000ft altitude with a .470 g1 b.c. at 500 you should be at about 2150 fps and 940 ft lbs energy I would think plenty enough for antelope at that speed bullet should perform very well as always shot placement means everything
You are bang on what I was thinking, just enough to get to 500 yards, thank you

Sierras 90 grain game changer (tipped game king) should be unbeatable. Stabilized great in 10 twist, .480 g1 bc, tipped bullet but thicker jacket than match bullets. No word on how long it takes for that green tip to melt off and reverse the path of the bullet ;)

Going to be taking the 243 out for antelope this year and will be working up a new load with Lapua brass and Fed 210 primers. Rifle is a very accurate Winchester XPR and from what I can ascertain the twist is 1/10. I would like to be able to push a 103 105 grain bullet but I am getting some feed back that this may not be possible?? That it is unlikely any slippery bullet with a high BC over 95 grains will not stabilize!!? Trying to put together a load out to 500-600 yards if necessary.
I have the same set up - 243, 1in 10 twist. All of the stability formulas show most 100 grain bullets as marginally stable. However, the MOST accurate load in my rifle so far is the Sierra 100 grain flat base bullet - 5 shots in just under 1/2 moa. I've tried Hornady 90 eld-x, Sierra 75, 85, and many others, but the 100 flat base is still the most accurate. I don't worry about the ballistic coefficient for drop because I dial the proper hold over with the scope.

Very nice, RL-26 ….easier to get my hands on gold LOL, 23 hmmmm that's not listed at all I have the Sierra App and its nice but does not list that one, hoping to get 3200+ could you assist with the range for RL-23 ?

I have been using 90 grain Speer deep curls in my .243 and had great luck with accuracy and terminal performance, but only out to 300 yards so far. I just loaded some 90 grain Sierra tipped game kings to try out. Just waiting for the Wyoming wind to die down to less than 15 MPH to test. I sure I don't have to work that day.

If you use the 1800/1100 rule, a 243 is not a 500-600 yard cartridge.

I'm all in agreement with needing 1800 fps for most bullets to expand properly at impact. I've been killing things for far too long to ever think 1100 ft-lbs of energy should ever be a rule. IME rarely does 1800/1100 ever line up at the range of the game I'm shooting happens to be standing at

243-90.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts