Best Bullet Choice for Long Range Antelope 243 Win twist 1:10

I have both a 25-06 loaded with Accubonds and the 243 but my son is coming along. trying to establish how far I can shoot with the 243. Starting to lean towards using my 300 Win Mag LOL.
I like a 257 weatherby for that work. Yeah some of their ammo is expensive bit their 100 grain soft point will do what you want and can be had for under $30.00 a box. The load it with whatever if you want to. How many are you going to shoot any way?

Going to be taking the 243 out for antelope this year and will be working up a new load with Lapua brass and Fed 210 primers. Rifle is a very accurate Winchester XPR and from what I can ascertain the twist is 1/10. I would like to be able to push a 103 105 grain bullet but I am getting some feed back that this may not be possible?? That it is unlikely any slippery bullet with a high BC over 95 grains will not stabilize!!? Trying to put together a load out to 500-600 yards if necessary.
I am trying the new Sierra GameChanger. Although it's 90 gr., the BC is high and at 3100+ fps it shows good ballistics out to 500y or so. Accurate too, in my Savage 110... Shot placement/accuracy is most important with a .243 at range IMO, with 90 vs 100 grain wt a secondary consideration, as long as expansion is satisfactory....

Nosler 95 ballistic tip or Sierra 90 gameking, whichever groups best in your gun. Anything heavier may not stabilize with a 10 twist. Both will dispatch an antelope when put in correct spot. Good Luck !

I am trying the new Sierra GameChanger. Although it's 90 gr., the BC is high and at 3100+ fps it shows good ballistics out to 500y or so. Accurate too, in my Savage 110... Shot placement/accuracy is most important with a .243 at range IMO, with 90 vs 100 grain wt a secondary consideration, as long as expansion is satisfactory....
What is your preferred load for 3100 fps?

I own manuals for the following, Nosler, Hornady, Sierra, Lyman, Barnes, Swift, Western Powders, Hogdon, Speer, Alliant, Berger, all the most current versions. I asked for (if he is willing to share) his preferred load, thanks.

I own manuals for the following, Nosler, Hornady, Sierra, Lyman, Barnes, Swift, Western Powders, Hogdon, Speer, Alliant, Berger, all the most current versions. I asked for (if he is willing to share) his preferred load, thanks.
I got ya hope you find a good load and the hunt turns out well

You are not going to be able to get what you want with a 1-10 twist rate shooting 500 yards. Take a look at the ballistics tables with the highest BC 90 grain bullet available. Just won't get you much over 350 yards. Your twist rate is not enough to stabilize bullets beyond 90 grains however you might be able to shoot a 100 grain Sierra as I have a friend that shoots them out of his 1-10 24" barrel. 243.
If you are really set on shooting that far with this rifle, practice shooting at a 500 yard cardboard target to see if your bullets are punching straight holes without any signs of tumbling.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.